Tips on How to Stay Healthy This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With finals week looming just a few weeks away, it’s hard to find time to work out and eat healthy. In reality, setting aside a little time to do these things might just be the ticket to acing your tests.

Eating Healthy

While everyone loves a late night Cane’s run, sticking to healthier choices will improve your immune system and help you maintain a healthy weight. Start with eating a healthy breakfast, like a granola bar or some fruit. This will kick start your metabolism and help you to burn fat throughout the day. If you have a problem with snacking, buy fresh vegetables or nuts and pre-package them in serving sizes. If you struggle with late night eating, try to keep healthier options on hand as well. Breaking the habit slowly will have more lasting effects than trying to quit all at once.

Working Out

Staying fit and healthy is 90% eating right and only 10% working out. Getting active can be as simple as going on a daily walk, but doing something every day will give you more energy, help you sleep better, and boost your endorphins, putting you in a better mood. While finding the time to hit the gym can be hard, the results will definitely be worth it. The gym can also be a good study break during the long hours at the library, and it definitely helps to refocus your attention.

There are a few other basic things that will help prevent you getting sick during finals. Washing your hands and taking a multivitamin every day boosts your immune system and can really help during periods of high stress and little sleep. Make sure you work extra hard to take care of your body during finals, and you will definitely see results in your overall health (and hopefully in your grades too)!