SMU’s Leading Ladies: Tracy Nelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Courtesy of Tracy Nelson

SMU is proud to be home to world changers, and it all starts with the moment a student decides to become a leader. We are proud here at Her Campus to present SMU’s Leading Ladies, taking charge and making a difference in the community.

And a woman taking charge is exactly how to describe Tracy Nelson, a senior with majors in political science, public policy and economics, with an additional minor in international studies. Here on campus, Nelson has a number of leadership positions and responsibilities.

“The majority of my time, when I’m actually in town, is split between Delta Gamma, where I’m the vice president of foundation, which is our philanthropy position,” Nelson said. “I’m also the finance chair for Student Senate. I’m responsible for allocating the potion of student fees that go to student organizations, which adds up to about a million dollars. I make sure people are spending the money the way that we’ve approved them to spend it, too.”

Not only is she a leader on campus, but she’s also a national leader.

“Out of SMU, I am one of two undergraduate women, serving nationally on the Fraternity and Sorority PAC, or the Political Action Committee, with two other undergraduate men. We bring the student voice to the board, and engaging students across the country on the issues we’re working with; it’s flying up to DC, conference calls with my fellow student board members and a lot of talking to people. It’s a cool merge of my love of my Greek experience here and my love of politics.” Nelson said.

Her love of politics has been a part of her from the beginning of her college career here at SMU.

“I came to SMU with a pipedream I never thought would happen,” Nelson said. “I’m really interested in lobbying and public policy law, a really hard field to get into. I had the opportunity to do a really cool internship this summer with a well-known lobbying firm and had a great experience and made great connections. Now, I’m headed in a direction that I think will make things happen for me.”

That direction is taking Nelson to law school. Acceptance letters have started coming for our leading lady, but she is wisely waiting to have all her options laid out before making her decision. Wherever she goes, she can see the light of her bright future ahead.

“Dream job, 10 years from now, would be working as legal counsel with the Defense Department or on an armed services committee on the hill. I’m a total National Security Policy nerd, especially concerning Defense Acquisition Policy,” Nelson said.

For all of SMU’s future leading ladies, just starting out, Nelson has some words of wisdom.

“Don’t let bumps in the road early prevent you from continuing down your path,” Nelson said. “We as women seem to be quick to underestimate ourselves. I think women really want to be successful in everything they do, that’s a pressure we put on ourselves. Things won’t always go the way you hope they do, especially in your freshman and sophomore year. It takes some time getting your feet on the ground and getting running here at SMU. Once you do get running here, don’t stop.”

Nelson’s dedication and responsibility shows in everything she does, from here all the way to Washington D.C., and makes us so proud to give Tracy Nelson the title of SMU Leading Lady.

Callie is a sophomore at Southern Methodist University, double-majoring in French and Fashion Media and minoring in Journalism.
India is a former campus correspondent at Southern Methodist University and a former national news blogger at HerCampus.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @IndiaPougher!