This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Ah, Homecoming. One of the best times of the year, where tissue paper and glitter fly with abandon and where organizations compete to be the craftiest. Every campus handles Homecoming differently, but one of the best competitions unique to Southern Methodist University is the Peruna Painting contest. Each organization that enters the competition (including sorority/fraternity pairs, residential commons, and campus clubs) must decorate a life sized cut out of our mascot, Peruna, the miniature horse. Yes, it really is the size of a small horse. These plywood beasts line the boulevard and show each organizations artistic mastery to every person who walks down to Dallas Hall.

The winners were announced at Rock the Vote on Monday, October 30, and here are the prettiest!

3rd Place

Chi Omega and Phi Delta Theta

2nd Place

Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Kappa Alpha

1st Place

Delta Delta Delta and Sigma Chi

Not to be overlooked, here are the other Perunas. In our opinion, these horses could all win an honorable mention!

Sorority/Fraternity pairs

Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma

Delta Gamma and Beta Theta Pi

Gamma Phi Beta and Beta Upsilon Chi

Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Pi Beta Phi and Phi Gamma Delta

Residential Commons Ponies

Armstrong Commons

Boaz Commons

Crum Commons

Loyd Commons

Mary Hay Peyton Shuttles

Virginia Snyder

Ware Commons

Upper Classmen Housing

Student Organizations

SMU College Hispanic American Students

All Photos by Abby Coon

My name is Abby Coon. I am a current Junior double majoring in Creative Advertising and BA in Art with a minor in photography. I speak sign language and have a small dog named Enzo. If you would like to see more of my photography go to www.abbyecoon.com
Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.