SMU Homecoming’s Banner Painting Competition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Homecoming is in full swing, and this year is especially competitive. One of the hardest challenges ever year at SMU is the banner painting competition. With a huge white banner to fill, and only the theme to go by, each year the participating organizations struggle to make a collaborative work of art. The results are often astonishing, and it can be hard to believe that a bunch of srat girls and frat guys came together to make a masterpiece. This year was no exception. The SMU theme for Homecoming this year was “Homecoming of Heroes,” and the banner results were really worthy of the comic books from which they sprung. Read on to find out our winners, and to see the best runner’s up!

Third Place

Crum Commons

Second Place

Delta Delta Delta and Sigma Chi

First Place

Alpha Chi Omega and Kappa Sigma

All the banners hang in the Hughes Trigg Student Center, and the spread is incredible. Scroll on to see the other contestants!

(From left to right: CHi Omega and Phi Delt Theta, Gamma Phi Beta and Beta Upsilon Chi, Crum Commons)

(From left to right: Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon, AXO and KSig, College Hispanic American Students)

(From left to right: Armstrong Commons, Theta Tau and Lyle Ambassadors, Loyd Commons, Kappa Alpha Theta and Pi Kappa Alpha, Pi Beta Phi and Phi Gamma Delta)

(From Left to Right: Pi Phi and FIJI, Delta Gamma and Beta Theta Pi, and Chi Omega and Phi Delta Theta)

(From left to right: Upper Division Housing, Tri Delta and SigCHi, and Virginia Snyder Commons)

All Photos by Kaitlyn Wardrup

Want more from HCSMU? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Kaitlyn is currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University studying Advertising and Fashion Media. She is from San Diego, California where she spends the majority of her free time driving down the coast. Her hobbies include trying new beauty products, finding the best Mac & Cheese, and petting every dog she crosses paths with. 
Moriah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University majoring in English and Psychology. She is currently the Campus Correspondent of the HCSMU chapter, and has held the positions of Senior Editor, Profile Editor and Associate Editor. She is also a member of the Alpha Xi chapter of Gamma Phi Beta. She loves coffee and satire, and she is not a morning person.