Slim Wallet and a Full Belly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Is it the end of the month and you’re waiting for your next month’s allowance? Or maybe you would rather spend money on shopping than food? Well here are three tips on how to eat on a small budget without starving yourself or resorting to fast food (yuck).

1. If you’ve got Pony, use it!!! 

Using your Pony dollars for food allows you to use your monthly allowance, or pay check, on other things you need (or maybe just want) instead of spending it all at the grocery store each week.  But yes, eating on campus can be redundant, mundane, and bland, but Pony does not have to be used on campus only.  Chipotle, Digg’s, Elevation Burger (one of my favorites), Goff’s, Jason’s Deli, Jersey Mike’s, La Madeline, New York Sub, Olivella’s, Potbelly, Quessa-D-Ya’s, Rusty Taco, Rolly Polly, Wai Wai, 7-Eleven, Zoes, and Pinkberry, all take Pony.  Most of these places are also fairly close to campus, so walk and save gas money!

2.  DO NOT eat out every night. 

Cooking at home will save you lots of money (and generally calories).  When you’re buying groceries, be conscious of how much you actually need.  It’s easy to buy a whole bunch of bananas because there happens to be eight attached, but are you really going to eat eight bananas before they all begin to turn brown?  No, so rip off only two or three (and make sure they’re slightly green so they can last the whole week).  Eggs also come in a carton of six, so no need to buy a dozen at a time.  Buying more food than you need for the week because you want to save a trip to the grocery store will only waste food and your allowance in the long run.

Buy foods with a long shelf life—such as oatmeal or soup—and things that can be frozen—raw chicken and vegetables.  Also, milk in paper cartons (my preference is Horizon) rather than plastic jugs, Greek yogurt, and packaged deli meat, last a long time.  All these foods happen to be good for you as well, so save and stay healthy at the same time.

3.  Testers are a magical thing.

When my bank account is hovering barely over $0, I head to Central Market, Eatzis, or Whole Foods.  The samples at these three markets are delicious, and enough to fill you up after making a round (or sometimes two) at each store.  Central Market, for example, has an entire sampling section of each type of bread in their bakery, meat samples in the deli, sushi from the sushi bar, and all sorts of snacks to try.  You can also ask to sample items in the precooked section as well as test the yummy soups.

So whether your bank account is almost empty, you’re saving to buy that top you have your eye on, or just want to practice frugality and responsibility, there is no need to go hungry with these easy, affordable, and tasty options.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.