david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Signs as Classic Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It’s night-in season! Picking what movie to watch can be the hardest part of the night-in, because none of your friends can agree and everyone has to argue about action versus comedy. Luckily, your Zodiac sign can help you decide. It’s written in the stars. Here’s a list scientifically engineered to help you pick the best movie for your movie night.

Aries (Mar 21-Apr 19)

“Nightmare Before Christmas”

Aries is characterized as courageous, confident and passionate. Who better to personify this than Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town (Not to be confused with Halloweentown which is one word), trailblazer extraordinaire.

Taurus (Apr 20-May 20)

“The Addams Family” Taurus is perhaps the coziest sign, associated with good food, appreciation of beauty and hopeless romanticism. The most romantic Halloween movie, nay, the most romantic on screen couple of all time? Gomez and Morticia Addams.

Gemini (May 21-Jun 20)

“Hocus Pocus” Geminis are affectionate and quick-witted, if restless at times and known to be anything but boring. To try and compensate for all the personality packed into one Gemini, we need a movie with at least three iconic characters, and what better trio than the Sanderson sisters.

Cancer (June 21-July 22)

“The Sixth Sense” Cancers are supposed to be the most intuitive signs, able to read the energy of a room effortlessly. That puts them most in touch with the supernatural. If any sign was going to rightfully claim to be able to see dead people, it’d be a Cancer.  

Leo (July 23-Aug 22)

“Rocky Horror Picture Show”

Cheerful, chatty and theatrical, Leo’s are known as the sign that belongs in the spotlight. It’s only fitting that they should receive the most fantastical Halloween musical.

Virgo (Aug 23-Sep 22)

“Edward Scissorhands” Virgos are known to be shy, but hardworking and practical. I don’t know that Edward Scissorhands technically has a birthday, but the commitment to work that has to be present when your hands are literally scissors is absolute Virgo territory.

Libra (Sep 23-Oct 22)

“Twitches” Libras, like the scales that represent them, are associated with balance and harmony. So, while Camryn and Alex are technically Scorpios, the whole “saving two worlds by restoring the balance between light and dark” was a pretty Libra thing to do.

Scorpio (Oct 23-Nov 21)

“Halloweentown” Known for being brave and passionate, Scorpio’s are great leaders and even better friends. The first example that comes to mind when I think of a leader is Marnie. She definitely has Scorpio energy in all the movies, and if you have time you can marathon them, do it (but if we’re being honest not all of them are classics. Or even good. I’m talking about the fourth one. It’s awful.).   

Sagittarius (Nov 22-Dec 21)

“Monster House” Characterized as curious, intelligent and open-minded, Sagittarius is the adventurer’s sign, a.k.a. arguably most likely to try and figure out what’s behind a haunted house and decidedly most likely to succeed in that mission.  

Capricorn (Dec 22-Jan 19)

“Ghostbusters” Capricorns are the most grounded of all the Earth signs, dependent, responsible and strong-willed. Ghostbusters might seem like a wild pick for supposedly the most serious sign, but if you think about it, the entire situation is funny because of how “serious” it is. Regular people have a vlog channel dedicated to their ghostly experiences, Capricorns have a degree in parapsychology.

Aquarius (Jan 20-Feb 18)

“Casper” Known as the “humanitarian” of the signs, Aquarius has a reputation for being loyal, helpful and fiercely protective despite their quiet nature. No offense to any other ghosts but Casper is kind of the sweetest spirit on record. Casper the friendly ghost. Friendly is literally his middle name.   

Pisces (Feb 19-Mar 20)

“It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” Pisces is considered one of the most sensitive signs, compassionate and artistic while simultaneously fearful with a tendency to be a little sad. So, Charlie Brown.

Belle is a student at Southen Methodist University studying fashion media, graphic design, arts management, and photography. A Taurus (Gemini rising), she enjoys sleeping in, pasta, and terrible music.
We are the SMU Team.