Realistic Resolutions: How to Commit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

How many times have you made a new year’s resolution, only to fail a couple days in? Maybe you have sworn off sugar, but then cave at the sight of a Sprinkles Cupcake. Or maybe you want to stop biting your nails, but the moment school stresses you out, you nom away. Well, I’ve got a few tips that will help you stay on track and follow through with those commitments!

1. Make Realistic resolutions. Set goals for yourself that are actually attainable. For example, instead of planning on giving up chocolate or sweets, allow yourself a few indulgences a week. Or if you want to exercise more, don’t vow to hit the gym every day, make it your goal to go at least three times a week.  By not making such a drastic resolution, you are more likely to follow through and not give up after you miss a day.
  2. Be specific with your goals. It’s easy to make a resolution but not clearly indicate how you’re going to follow through with it. For example, “Being healthier” tends to be at the top of everyone’s list at the begging of the year, but that resolution is too vague. How exactly is a collegiette going to be healthier? By drinking more water? By exercising more? Make a game plan. Write out exactly how you are going to achieve your goal—that is the way you will succeed.
  3. Find a way to bind yourself to your goal. Maybe you make the same resolution every year, but after a few weeks, you struggle to keep it up. Finding ways that obligate you to continue with your resolution will help you push through those difficult times. Sign up to a website like Stickk.com that will send emails directly to you reminding you of your resolutions. The website even lets you put money on the line that will be donated to charity when you don’t stick to your goal. If you need motivation, find another collegiette who will make the resolution with you, and in tough times will remind you to keep at it! And if fitness is your goal, a good strategy is to take a class that will require you to exercise. Power yoga, jogging, and spinning classes are all offered at Dedman, along with many other fitness classes. By enrolling in a class, you won’t miss that work out because your grades depend on it!
  4. When you get off track, veer back on course. This tip is the most important. There will be times when staying committed to your resolution seem impossible, and you might cave in for a day and feel like you failed. It’s easy to break your resolution and feel as though there’s no point to continue. However, what’s important is realizing that you can always get back on track the next day. Setback will occur, but if you just keep trying and aiming for your goal, you will get there eventually—always keep up the fight!

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.