Our Favorite SMU Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

After being around for 100 years, Southern Methodist University has a few traditions that define collegiate life. Don’t miss any of these traditions because they are what make SMU one of the best collegiate experiences across the country.

Boulevarding
“We don’t tailgate, we boulevard” is one of the most common phrases that comes up when talking about SMU tradition. A day or two before each football game, Ducky Bob’s trucks are all around campus putting up tents all along the Boulevard and the lawn in front of Dallas Hall. Then, three hours before the game, SMU students, faculty, alumni and friends come out to enjoy food, drinks and games on the Boulevard. The tradition calls for a classy look with girls wearing sundresses, usually with the colors red, white or blue, and cowgirl boots. The boys usually sport dress shirts with colorful ties and bowties. There are themes too with each boulevard, with one of the most popular being “white-out.” Boulevarding is the most popular tradition at SMU, and to students on campus it is as important as the actually football games.

[pagebreak]

Celebration of Lights
Every year thousands of Christmas lights are displayed on Dallas Hall and it’s surrounding area. Student Foundation plans the event to kick-off the Christmas season at SMU. SMU students come out to sing Christmas carols, listen to groups perform and hear President Turner read The Christmas Story. The finale of the night is always the lighting of the Christmas tree, Dallas Hall and the surrounding trees with more than 100,000 twinkling lights. After the celebration, everyone is definitely in the holiday mood.

[pagebreak]

Sing Song
Sing Song is an annual singing and dancing competition put on by Program Council. Organizations, including most sororities and fraternities, pair up and put together a 10-minute skit with four to six songs. The skit is based on a theme picked by Program Council. Sing Song is a cornerstone event that has been around for many years. Previous themes have been Broadway, rock artists, Disney and musical genres.

[pagebreak]

Homecoming
Homecoming is always a big tradition at SMU. Student Foundation puts the event on and picks a wide theme to encompass Homecoming week. Organizations then pick a smaller theme and work all week in competitions. There is banner making, window painting, Peruna painting and float building. Then there is also the much-anticipated Homecoming court in which each organization nominates a candidate for homecoming queen and king. The week builds up to the Homecoming parade where the floats are displayed during boulevarding before the football game. Every year students, faculty, alumni and friends come to the parade and watch the organizations hard world displayed on SMU’s gorgeous campus.
  [pagebreak]

Mane Event
Mane Event is last tradition that makes up collegiate life at SMU. Every year around finals in spring semester, Student Foundation throws a carnival like event, except without the Ferris Wheel. There are games, free food and free stuff every year. By the time Mane Event rolls around, everyone is having boulevarding withdrawals. Mane Event is the perfect way to take a break from studying and have fun with friends, free food and games.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.