This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Loud, Lustful Lipstick

It seems as we grow up, we naturally evolve in regards to our lip products. As kids, we cherished the lip smackers new flavors, while still holding onto our favorites of strawberry scoop and kiwi berry crush, even going so far as to buying the collection that allowed for them to be displayed on our key chains.  As we awkwardly pushed our way through middle school dances and first crushes, we never left our house without our obnoxiously shiny and sticky lip-gloss. As we thankfully leave our pubescent selves behind us, we move on to maybe a more natural routine of just the everyday Burt’s Bee’s, or to more daring, vivacious products, such as fuchsia lipstick. Yet, in this day and age of lipstick being an essential accessory to every fashion forward’s girl’s closet, I’m shocked by the amount of girls who opt out for the nude lip-gloss. I’ve always been one to cross the boundaries, especially with my lipstick, consistently seeking the aisles of Niemans, Mac, and even CVS for a new shade to try.

Lipstick can be the perfect touch to an outfit. A little black dress that needs an old Hollywood classic feel? Red lipstick is the answer. Make sure to find one that suits your skin tone and desires for the outfit. Red ranges from more coral undertones to deep burgundy hues, choose on whether you’re going for a pop or a sultrier look. Make sure to find a lip liner to match the color. This may seem unnecessary, but it makes all the difference in polishing the look.

I feel like pink is underrated as a hue we often overlook. I carry within my own purses, at least three different hues of pink. A vibrant, almost “strawberry margarita” color immediately puts color within your face. For an average day to class (with no makeup on), try to put on some bronzer and lipstick that is close to or the same as your natural lip color. This will make you look fresher.

Make sure to look for lipsticks that aren’t overwhelmingly drying. Those that have a more natural effect are the ones like Chanel’s “Hydrating Sheer Lipshine” or “Hydrating Crème Lip Colour.” Bobbi Brown has similar products, like Crème Lip Color in Hibiscus, that allows for a vibrant shade, but that also moisturizes the lips at the same time. If you’re going out for the night and want a matte look that will survive the Bandito’s margarita’s and the countless vodka cranberry’s, look specifically for the lipsticks that have “matte” or “long lasting” within the name.

I think many girls remember as a child watching their mother carefully put their lipstick around their lips, almost similar to coloring within the lines. I think our association with our mothers makes us think lipstick is old and boring, but in reality can be a fun, vibrant way to spice up your look, put some color in your face, and some pep in your step.