How to Get Fit After the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

With the start of a new semester and a new year everyone can’t help but have those annual new years resolutions. A common one among many college students is how to get back into a work out routine with the laziness of the holidays still lingering around.

The first tip to get back into a routine is to set some goals such as how many times a week you’re going to work out, or a spring break weight goal to ensure you look your absolute best in your bikini at your tropical destination of choice.

An easy way to get those endorphins going is to do a group fitness class like zumba or The Bar Method. The Bar Method is located at 5560 West Lovers Lane and they have classes daily making it easy to find a class that fits into your schedule. Also any of the group X fitness classes that are offered at Dedman can help to get you on track and toward your goals.

Diet is just as important so make sure to drink plenty of water and if you do go out hit the gym the next day to burn off those excess calories. Also try eating in more than going out because that way you know exactly what’s going into your food and its easier to control how much you eat.

Yoga is also a great way to get relaxed and toned without bulking up, try throwing in a class or two a week to boost your energy and your flexibility.

Lastly, stay away from crash diets, they only end up back firing because once you start eating normally again you will gain the weight back twice as fast and they are extremely hard to keep up. Just stick to eating healthy and working out regularly to meet even your most difficult fitness goals!

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.