Grace Roberts: SMU Homecoming Queen 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

The long anticipated week of Homecoming has officially come to an end! Participating organizations spent weeks preparing and supporting their organization!  Expressing spirit, pomping, giving blood, painting windows, perunas, and repping all they got to see their Homecoming Queen candidates crowned at Saturday’s football game.  And this year’s homecoming queen goes to (drum roll please!)…Grace Roberts, representing Kappa Kappa Gamma.  Grace is a senior from Little Rock, Arkansas, graduating with a major in Journalism and double minor in Communications Studies and Fashion in the Media.  Although representing Kappa, Grace is involved in many different areas on SMU’s campus.  She is a member of The Union and a writer for the Daily Campus and Daily update.  On top of that, she makes sure to give back to others through organizing events like Relay for Life and educating fellow peers in the English as a Second Language Program. Here is a little insight into the queen herself and her experience at SMU!

Most Embarrassing Moment at SMU:  My most embarrassing moment while at SMU happened one morning while I was anchoring for the Daily Update.  It was one of my first times being on camera and I was so nervous! I looked at the wrong camera numerous times during the show, AND then I stuttered on the word “For” for way too long, haha. My friends and family thought it was hilarious, and eventually I laughed it off, too :)

Favorite Thing/Tradition about SMU:  Boulevarding and the SMU-in-Taos program are some of my favorite things about SMU.

One Piece of Advice to younger SMU females:  Take advantage of everything SMU has to offer, and one phrase I always live by: Work hard, play hard.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?  :In five years, I see myself establishing a successful career in either the print or broadcast journalism field.

3 things you can’t Stand: 1. Being rushed 2. Negative attitudes 3. Chick-Fil-A isn’t open on Sundays!

“I feel so honored to represent Kappa and SMU, and I’m so thankful for all the hard work my Kappa sisters put into all of the Homecoming activities.  I’m also so thankful for all the love and support from my friends and family. And, PONY UP!” – Grace Roberts, SMU Homecoming Queen 2011

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.