Getting that Bikini Body without Starving Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Guess what time of year it is? Its officially bikini season! If you are anything like me then you relate to this and this. Even though spring break is over, tis the season of the tanning pool, lake trips, and pool parties and I know you want to look hot. So here are some tips to help get you started.

1. Watch what you eat. That seems like the obvious first step but don’t think you need to starve your self to get the body you want. That ends up hurting you in the long run and lets be real, no one enjoys being hungry all the time. Check out these 25 snacks that are 100 calories or less on webmd.com.

Another good tool is to count your calories. Keeping a log of what you eat helps you pay attention to what you are eating and when you need to put down the snacks. My favorite way to do this is by downloading the “lose it!” app on your iPhone. That way you can keep it with you wherever you go and it lets you scan barcodes of food to automatically log the nutrition facts.

2. Exercise. Another obvious tip to lose weight but I know from personal experience the gym isn’t always the most appealing place in the world. But find something that works for you. With so many exercise boutiques opening up in the area, like Pure Barre, you can find a way to get your sweat on without having to see the entire world at Dedman.

Another good idea is to find some friends and take classes with a personal trainer. Innergy Fitness offers packages of group classes and lets you and your friends have a trainer design fitness plans just for you.

Not wanting to pay for classes? Find a friend to go to the gym with or a running partner. That way, she can be there motivating you when you really want to quit. Especially since the weather is so nice now, doing outdoor activities like walking the Katy Trail or swimming are easy ways to burn calories while having fun.

3. Keep it interesting. Diets can be tough and hard to follow. But when you don’t restrict yourself too much it becomes easier to manage. Think of it as a life style change rather than cutting out all unhealthy food. If you totally cut out one of your favorite foods then it’s going to feel like you are depriving yourself. Give in every now and then but don’t go over board. Find ideas from Pinterest of fun but healthy foods to make or ways you can exercise without even having to leave your apartment.

4. Keep in mind that this is a marathon and not a sprint. If you follow the program you create for yourself and stay motivated you will get your bikini body overtime. Don’t worry girls, you have 2 months before summer and I know you will be looking fit and healthy! 

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.