Five Tips for Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

It is that time of year again. Students are going into interviews for internships and some seniors are interviewing for a job after they graduate. Interviews can be nerve racking for everyone, but with these five tips you will stand out from the crowd.

1. Research the company
The worst thing you could do in an interview is to go in knowing nothing about the place you are trying to intern or get a job at. Some ways to go about doing this is to visit the company’s website. Review the company’s mission statement, history, products, services, management, etc. Check out their social media, if they have any. Like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. You can discreetly bring up information you find from their website, Facebook and Twitter in your interview answers. Lastly, know if the company you’re interviewing in has been in the news or gone through major changes lately. This means researching them on Google and Google News.

2. Prepare your elevator speech
An elevator speech is a short (15-30 seconds) speech that introduces you, your skills and what makes you unique. It is usually the answer to typical interview questions like “tell me about yourself” and “what makes you qualified for this job.” Make sure when preparing your elevator speech that it is not just all about you, but about what you can do for the company/person you are talking to.

3. Dress sharp and modestly
In an interview, your attire plays the supporting role. If you are knowledgeable of the attire worn at the company you are interviewing for, try and mimic it. If you know that the employees all wear suits and jackets, then wear a skirt or pant suit. If the employees wear jeans and a t-shirt, DO NOT copy that directly, but you can be more causal with a skirt and cute top or a cute business dress. Also remember to have a neutral nail polish color and not neon yellow or shocking pink.

4. Be earlier than on time
First impressions are everything and if your potential employer has to wait on you, that will leave a lasting bad impression. It is important to give yourself plenty of time to drive, park and find where you need to be before an interview. If there is an emergency and you are running late, call the company and let them know. If you cannot be on time for an interview, then how will the company think that you can be on time to a job?

5. Post interview tips
After an interview, always send a thank you note or email. This is critical because the employer will recall your name and your interview. This can affect the decision process. Do not send a thank you note a week later. Try and aim for it to be sent the next day. If you are sending a hand written one, make sure it reaches before the weekend because you don’t want the company to forget about you when busy Monday hits again.

Caroline Wright, a double major in Business Marketing and Communication Studies at Southern Methodist University, is thrilled to be part of the Her Campus Team. Although a St. Louis native, she has enjoyed becoming a true Texan in spirit over the past two years! She has been employed by a variety of companies including Kate Spade New York, NBC Universal Pictures, Brynn Bagot Public Relations, Rent the Runway, and Nordstrom. Caroline is currently Social Chair for her sorority Kappa Alpha Theta as well as serves on the Board of SMU's Student Foundation.