Courtney Spalten

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

My interview with FD Luxe Magazine Intern, Courtney Spalten.

What is your daily routine like working at FD/Luxe?

It changes each day. Most days I’m in the office working on things for the next issue. Sometimes I get to assist at fashion shoots, which is really fun. Right now, I’m working on writing content for the next issue of the magazine.

What is the most rewarding aspect of being an intern at FD/Luxe?

The most rewarding part of my internship is being involved in the production of the magazine and having the opportunity to get my writing published.   

How has this internship differed from some of your last ones?

Last year, I was a marketing and promotions intern for CBS Films and Summit Entertainment so that experience was very different. I helped promote upcoming films. Last semester, I interned at another magazine so that experience was pretty similar and helped prepare me for FD Luxe.

Is it hard juggling your internship, school work, social life?

Balancing everything this semester hasn’t been too bad compared to the past. My past two semesters were a pretty hectic because I was balancing my internship, being Arts & Entertainment Editor of The Daily Campus, my position in my sorority, and school. I have so much more free time this semester since I only have class and my internship.

Being an intern can sometimes be a tough job, especially if it is unpaid. What advice would you give to someone who is about to start his or her first internship?

If your internship is unpaid, make sure it’s in the field you are interested in so that you can learn as much as you can while you are there. Focus on making connections at the company because these references can help you in the future.

How has your past and current internships shaped your work ethic? 

I’ve definitely learned how to time manage and how to balance work and school. When I’m at work, I definitely commit to my responsibilities in the office instead of thinking about school work or other things I need to do.

Any funny/embarrassing/cool stories from your internship?

Well, I got to meet Kellan Lutz from the Twilight movies when I worked for Summit Entertainment last semester, so that was pretty exciting.

Where do you see yourself after life at SMU- Staying in Dallas, getting your Masters, working for a major publication?

I definitely want to stay in Dallas, and I’ll hopefully be working for a publication. We’ll see!

Whats your favorite part about being an intern? 

Learning more about the magazine production process and having the opportunity to write

Little known facts about you?

I speak Spanish and my favorite food is sushi.

SMU Class of 2015 Temerlin School of AdvertisingAdvertising Major Graphic Design Minor