9 Things to Do When You Get Bored Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Spring Break is the best. It’s a no classes, no-homework-doing, good time. I personally love Spring Break (relaxation at its finest), but for some people, it can feel a little too long, especially if you run out of activities. If that’s what you’re feeling, here are some fun ideas to get you back in the Spring Break spirit.

If your friends are out of town, and your family is busy:

1. Read

Most of the time, required reading for class is not what you would read for pleasure. Take the time on break to discover more books you like. Just wait, maybe you’ll discover an awesome new series that will become a favorite! You can check out the audio-book versions too!

2. Cook or Bake

What better time is there to learn to cook or bake some amazing recipes? That way, when you get off of break and back to school, you can impress all your friends with the delicious treats you can whip up!

3. Go to museums in town (or wherever you’re spending break)

Dallas has some great museums, and it is so fun to walk through them and make a day out of it! Check out the Perot, the Dallas Museum of Art, the Nasher Sculpture Center, and more.

4. Plan dreams and goals for the rest of the semester

What do you want out of 2019? Put on your Spotify playlist, grab a pen and paper, and write down what you want to accomplish in 2019.

5. Do an art project (let the creativity flow!)

Gather up all of your pictures from this semester and make a collage. Paint a canvas for your room. Go to Michael’s and get a bunch of supplies to make pretty much anything you want– there’s so much to choose from! Or, if fine art isn’t your jam, do some creative writing or photography.

If your friends are in town, or your family is free:

1. Have a game night

Grab your friends for an exciting night of friendly competition. Bust out the board game classics, like the Game of Life and Clue, favorites like Mexican Train, or opt for video games like Super Mario Brothers or Just Dance! Don’t forget the pizza, drinks, and as always, dessert!

2. Go see a show, musical, or movie

Search for  musicals and shows online at your local theater. There are also awesome movies in theaters this March (Captain Marvel, A Madea Family Funeral, The Kid, and Five Feet Apart at the end of break!) so be sure to check those out as well!

3. Go ice skating or roller blading 

Whatever you choose, ice skating or roller blading make super fun outings for friends and family bonding time. Not to mention, you get the chance to show off your skating skills!

4. Shopping

Make a day out of it! Hit the outlets. You can even check out the sales, and buy gifts for your friends asking for souvenirs.

Hannah is a Senior at Southern Methodist University studying English with a specialization in Creative Writing and Journalism. Being from California, she loves all things entertainment, TV, and movies. When she's not listening to music on her 300-song Spotify playlist, going with friends to trendy coffee shops, or quoting Gilmore Girls, she spends her time reading novels, and hopes to write one of her own.
We are the SMU Team.