8 Tips for A Better Breakfast In Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

We’ve all been there – it’s 10:30 a.m. and you’ve suddenly realized that all the good breakfast food in the dining hall is either lukewarm or nonexistent. Or maybe you’ve woken up to the realization that class is in 20 minutes, but your hunger is now. While you may not have the time or the motivation to hit up Arnold or Umph, there’s no excuse to miss the most important meal of the day!

1. Granola bars are your best friend

When you’re in a pinch there’s nothing faster or more portable than shoving a bar of processed oats in your mouth.

2. Invest in a Keurig

Not only can a Keurig make coffee, but if you don’t put in a K-cup it shoots out hot water that can be used for oatmeal in a cup, or even instant noodles (if that’s your breakfast, no judgement here). Also, lots of dorms have a community Keurig, so ask your RA or check your dorm lobby!

3. Learn the ins and outs of microwaveable food

Okay, hear me out. I was wandering around Target last week and found out that there are microwavable cups that basically make pancakes with water and whatever magic they’re made of. Toss that in with a side of microwavable bacon and you might as well start a brunch business.

4. Order in

There’s nothing like knowing your food is showing up right at your door. The only drawback is the time it takes, so I recommend this for your lazy mornings.

5. Plan ahead and snatch fruit from the dining halls

There is no shame in clearing Arnold of bananas. Anyone who says otherwise obviously doesn’t appreciate the fact that waking up to a ready-to-eat fruit is literally the best thing ever.

6. Cereal is a staple for a reason

It had to be somewhere, so I made it number six.

7. Tapingo some bagels or Starbucks

If you can stomach the absurd 50 cent charge per order, Tapingo is great because you can order it right when you wake up and simply pick it up on the way to class. That way you can focus less on nutrition and more on if you did your homework or not.

8. Anything can be breakfast

This one needs no introduction. That pizza you ordered at 2 a.m.? Breakfast. That questionable Thai food in the fridge from three days ago? Breakfast. It’s that simple.

Katie is currently a freshman at Southern Methodist University studying biological sciences and human rights. If she can pass Organic Chemistry, Katie hopes to become a doctor specializing in women's health. Her passions include eating, soccer, running, and consuming dangerous amounts of caffeine.
We are the SMU Team.