5 Unique Destinations for Spring Break 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner, and if you haven’t yet decided where you and your besties are going to spend your week off, check out these unique vacation spots to get some wanderlust inspiration!

Santa Barbara, California

California beaches, need I say more? Santa Barbara is located an hour north of L.A., and with the distance comes a more laid-back vibe than the bustling streets of the Los Angeles beaches like Santa Monica and Venice. Santa Barbara offers the small beach town vibe of Laguna, but half the price and with less tourist-centric vendors. If you can part yourself from the beach for an afternoon, make sure to check out the downtown main street for boutiques and Instagram-worthy restaurants.

Austin, Texas

Recently voted the #1 place to live by US News and Reports, Austin is a fun and unique option for this year’s spring break! With live music, expansive parks, outdoor sports and fantastic food options, what is not to love? Not to mention, Austin is just close enough to Dallas to finally make that memorable road trip you’ve always wanted to take with your besties.   

Tulum, Mexico

Why go to crowded Cabo, when you could find your own little paradise in Tulum, Mexico? This tucked-away jewel is located on the east coast of Mexico, where you can relax on the beach one day, and explore Mayan ruins the next. If you make Tulum your next spring break destination, don’t forget to check out the beautiful cenotes, which are underground water-filled caverns.

Quebec, Canada

Why cross an ocean to enjoy an authentic French getaway, when you can simply head up north to Quebec? If you’re willing to choose sweaters over bikinis this spring break, check out Quebec for beautiful landscapes, incredible history, and of course, delicious poutine, aka the French version of cheese fries.

Savannah, Georgia

Want a New Orleans type vaycay, but with a little less grime? If so, Savannah is calling your name! This coastal Georgia city is known for its manicured parks, ornate antebellum architecture, and its iconic cobblestoned historic district. Enjoy a culturally engrossing spring break under the shade of beautiful live oak trees and magnolia blossoms.

We are the SMU Team.