diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Still Your Rock From Miles Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

I know you’re hurting, upset and maybe even crying, but remember i’m still always here.

The distance that often comes with college is tough for any relationship, especially the most important one, your best friend. It’s never fun to see one of your best friends hurting even being in the same room, but it’s even worse being hundreds or even thousands of miles away. There’s nothing I want to do more than jump right through that facetime call and hand you cartons of frosting with one hand while ordering pizza with the other. But just know even though the screen makes for a very difficult hug, i’m still always right here.

The first few days, and even weeks are the absolute worst. The wound is fresh and i’m sure your friend is in need of some friendly faces from home. I am not saying that her girls at school are not fantastic, but having a girlfriend who your roots are intertwined with is really meaningful. That facetime to facetime action is really important, seeing your face is automatically going to bring a flood of good memories back, and that is just what a broken heart needs. Try and lift their spirits but be understanding if she wants to talk about more than just the awful meal in the dining hall you ate or the latest drama on your floor. It may be uncomfortable and repetitive but try to soak it all in.  

Make sure to send them subtle texts throughout the day, just to check in. Don’t make the texts too emotional because you want to help restore normalcy as best as you can, and your BFF getting through a busy day of classes is important. Encourage her to attend everything she can and try to steer her away from being alone. Nothing’s worse than sitting alone in your room thinking about what could have been and how sad and upset you are, so that little nudge to get out there will be appreciated in the long run.

Lastly, you need to be down to listen or hear her out late at night, early in the morning or just in the middle of the day. Being a best friend surely has it’s perks but when it all falls apart you’re the one to pick up the pieces and put back together the puzzle that she is. I know that sometimes it can seem a little too much but I promise it’ll all get easier as time goes on. No matter how far away you are from all your girls your role as their best friend remains vital as they experience devastating times.

Walk with me on the pathway of more success, bless up.Studying Psychology at Saint Michael's CollegeEvents Director for HerCampusSMCVT 
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.