A Reflection of Dance-a-Thon (Children’s Miracle Network)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Giving back to my community and volunteering for different organizations has been something that I have always tried to do. My parents taught me that I should be grateful for what I have and to give back to those in need. So when Her Campus SMCVT decided to create their own team to join the Dance-a-Thon that was giving all proceeds to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, I thought it was a perfect opportunity for me, and the Her Campus team, to give back.

Some of the few dancers at the fundraiser (a bit blurry, but definitely shows how much fun we were having!) 

With all of this being said, dancing isn’t necessarily my thing, so I was hesitant to sign up. However, I figured because I would be with my friends and because it was for a worthy cause, that I might as well sign up and raise money, even if my dance moves were pretty sad. As I said, I was pretty hesitant at first, so when I first got to the Dance-a-Thon I wasn’t really feeling ready for the next six hours of dancing; however, once I started dancing and seeing the children that were there having fun, I was able to relax and have a good time!

Our very own Katie Barry with one of the girls, Eleanor, who shared her story!

The night wasn’t just filled with dancing, but was also broken up with a visit from Mike Check (SMCVT’s all male a capella group), an improv group, Love Your Melon, and stories from children who have benefitted from the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The student who planned the event at Saint Michael’s College, Ashley Jennings, had a personal story to share, as she benefited from the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals when she was diagnosed with leukemia. The stories that we heard from her and the other children that attended the event opened my eyes to what we were doing for them and other children who need to spend a lot of their time at the hospital when going through treatment. It was nice hearing from the children themselves and it made me feel like I was helping in the best way possible.

More SMCVT Her Campus members at the Love Your Melon photo booth!

Overall, I would say that the dance-a-thon was a success! I had a blast and was able to give to a worthy cause. We were able to raise over $3,000 and the Her Campus team at SMCVT was one of the top fundraisers! I found the experience to be really rewarding and look forward to participating again next year!

SMCVT Her Campus team (plus Eleanor) at the Dance-a-Thon!

Sophomore at Saint Michael's College. Lover of Starbucks, social media, and all things sweet.