An Open Letter to Vermont (And its Weather)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Dear Vermont, 

I feel like I’ve written about the weather a lot this year, but I’ve got a lot of complaints. I simply can’t take it anymore. When April began, I had faith. I thought we’d finally made it through the winter. That, ladies and gents, is called optimism. April merely means it’s time for winter round two. But May? C’mon. May is when we’re supposed to start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, or at least that’s what I thought. I’ll admit, there were a few sunny days sprinkled in, but for the most part, I feel like you’ve subjected us to a bit of cruel and unusual torture these past few weeks. 

How much rain can people handle? What level of vitamin D deficiency can they withstand? I’m not entirely sure, but you’re pushing it. Today is the first day of May, and what do I wake up to? Just some freezing rain. Ya know, the typical 39 degree spring day. Beautiful. I’m sorry Vermont, I love you dearly, you know that…but c’mon. Cut us a break. Winter started in like October, and school’s almost over. It’s about time. At least it’s been warm enough to leave my giant winter coat in my room, but I still haven’t felt safe enough to abandon it at home yet. It’s like you never know. One day, 60. The next? 40. Make up your mind. 

Maybe a partly cloudy 55 would be a good compromise? I think I speak for everyone when I say that we’ll basically take anything at this point. I do complain a lot, Vermont, but I have to admit you always give us a pretty epic winter. The sking is amazing, the snow is beautiful, but now…now it’s just…cold mud season. And we’ve had enough. P-Day…was….not your best work….to say the least. 41? Seriously? And I’m pretty sure it started snowing later. 

You might be laughing, Vermont, but the rest of us aren’t. We’re tough, we’re used to it, but everyone has a breaking point. So I hope you can hear me out. Thanks for everything, it’s been a real blast…but we’re ready for summer.

Sincerely, 

Everyone

Cover Photo: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiiqcbbuP7hAhVRn-AKHSh1CdIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.uvm.edu%2Fnewsstories%2Fnews%2Fupdate_blizzard_closing_2017&psig=AOvVaw2-ZCdv5KM29FnPNspD0rMI&ust=1556941349947601

Connecticut girl currently residing in Vermont as a senior at Saint Michael's College. English major with a love for writing, running, skiing, and all things Broadway. 
Jewelry maker and business owner at Homegrown Jewelry VT. Business Administration Major with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and an Economics Minor.