To Mom, During Homesick Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Dear Mom,

I miss you so much. Even in my second year of college, I haven’t warmed up to the fact that you’re not there when I get home from school everyday. If only you could just be waiting in my dorm room to ask how my day was, feed me a snack when I’m not even hungry, and yell at me to “get my homework off of the counter” when you’re just trying to cook dinner. Although this is a dream that will never come true, I can’t thank you enough for the things you manage to do for me while we’re 163 miles apart.

Thank you for calling to listen to how my day was even though sometimes it’s not that exciting. If I had a dollar for every time I called to complain about a test I thought I failed or a paper that just wouldn’t write itself, I’d probably have enough money to pay off my college loans (and more).

Thank you for helping me study whenever I say “if I send you my notes, can you quiz me on this?” I know my handwriting is hard to read and I know you can barely zoom in far enough to see writing on the page, but I appreciate your effort. Yes, there is a study group. No, I don’t feel like going. Nobody encourages me to do my best like you do.

Don’t worry about my eating habits. Eating is more of a hobby than a habit these days. Even without your afterschool snacks waiting for me everyday, this unlimited meal plan keeps me well fed.

No need to fear, my homework is still strewn everywhere. My desk is always covered in papers and my notebooks are always bursting at the seams with unorganization. I have half-written papers left in my friends’ rooms and half-read books in every corner of my room. I swear I haven’t changed one bit.

Thank you for letting me talk to the dog over FaceTime whenever I ask. I’d appreciate it if you didn’t laugh so hard everytime I cry at the sight of her face, but we can work on that.

Most of all, thank you for being my number one fan in everything that I do. I can’t wait to go on sushi dates and have movie nights with you over fall break. I love you!

XO,

Your homesick daughter      

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.