Wellness > Mental Health

GET OUT OF YOUR HEAD! Advice for moments where you are mentally unraveling…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

This morning I strolled downstairs, hyped up about my planned movement for the day. I started my lift, blasting remixes when all of a sudden my mind went from a high to a huge low. I started spiraling. I began dwelling on experiences I went through years ago and began overflowing with anxiety. I began thinking about what people think about me and if I’ve upset anyone recently? If, I’ve made the right and moral decisions over the last year? I continued with my lift, highering my music, and hoping it would drown out the negative thoughts. 

Once I finished my workout, I began to wonder why my mind went down that path at that moment. I was stuck in my head, trying to push myself out, but barely crawling to the exit. A close friend of mine sophomore year taught me this trick when I start to get anxious or I feel mentally feel off. I often tell her that she changed my life with this trick (dramatic, yet true!)

So, this morning, I began using her advice. 

First I asked myself physical questions. Did I eat enough today? Did I sleep enough today? Am I dehydrated? Am I burnt out? Did I drink too much caffeine?

Your body and your mind work together. Regardless if you may feel a positive emotion one moment, if you are not taking care of your body in that same moment, it will send signals to your body. The signal for me at this moment was that I drank too much caffeine with a very light meal. The workout I was performing needed more fuel for me, so my mind turned to another place – one that was not filled with bright thoughts. 

The other side of questions I ask myself is were there any events recently that triggered you? Do you need to talk it out, or write it down? I also remind myself to be kind to my mind, knowing that sometimes I am not ready to talk it out. Sometimes we need to sit on the heavy stuff until we are ready to unpack it. For today, I am not ready to unravel those thoughts, and that is okay. 

Asking myself these questions have completely changed my outlook on how I deal with those emotional and unraveled moments. These questions have given me the strength and awareness to not allow a negative spiral to ruin my day. 

Give yourself permission to move on from those moments. Ask yourself those questions and get out of your head. Take care of both your body and mind and most of all be kind to yourself. 

MA || VT || SMC Women's Soccer Player '21