This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

While most college students are excited to be back and settled into their respective campuses, there’s no doubt that Covid-19 regulations and guidelines are leaving a negative and somewhat sad mark on this adjustment period. Whether it’s wearing a mask in class or to do laundry, not being able to reunite with your whole girl gang because there are too many of you, or having your sports season cancelled, it’s quite evident that this fall semester will look much different than those in the past. However for me, I’ve found that lingering on these changes has got me feeling some kind of way- down! I hate it!

So, instead of letting my mind get bogged down with sadness, I’ve taken it upon myself to try and find the positives. What am I happy about? What can I do on a daily basis to keep myself sane? What are some things I have to look forward to?

Here are a few examples:

• Explore the outdoors! This past weekend, my roommates and I climbed a beautiful mountain in Stowe, Vt., just under an hour away from campus. The drive was beautiful, the ascend was steep but doable, and the view was incredible. Having something planned for a Saturday morning or afternoon really gives a sense of structure and excitement to my week. Maybe that means a hike, a trip to the beach, or just a walk around campus. It doesn’t have to be anything huge!

• Journal! I’ve found that writing what I do everyday has really helped me to reflect and make some subtle changes to my routine.

• Treat yourself to a coffee! Sometimes just having a Starbucks cold brew in your hand can put a smile on your face.

• Make lists! If you’re feeling overwhelmed with school, work, or transitioning back to college life, write up some realistic tasks or goals for the next few hours, days, or weeks. Crossing those bad boys off will give you a sense of accomplishment.

• Enjoy the little moments. Have a wine night on a Tuesday with your girls. Make a spontaneous trip to get ice cream. Try a new recipe. Why not?!?

• Finally, follow the rules. That’s all. Don’t send me home again.

Maybe these ideas sound crazy or unenjoyable to you, but I encourage you to try one out or come up with your own list. During times like these, it’s important to see the glass half full, be grateful for health and good company, and look forward to when everything settles down a bit.

Media Studies, Journalism, and Digital Arts & Spanish double major with a Business Administration minor at Saint Michael's College in Colchester, VT. Member of the Varsity Women's Tennis Team, Student Athlete Advisory Committee, Honors Program, Founder's Society, Tour Guide, Book Award Recipient, and lector in the Chapel of Saint Michael the Archangel. One of two NE10 student athlete reps. 3.96 cumulative GPA. Dean's List Honoree every semester.
MA || VT || SMC Women's Soccer Player '21