This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

Katie is easily one of the funniest people I know. Her humor lights up the Phonathon room every time she’s there. Besides being hilarious, Katie is a strong team member of the Women’s Rugby team at SMC. We were lucky enough to sit down with her and get to know her better and learn about the Rugby team’s success.

Major: Biology

Hometown:  Somers, CT

YOG:  2017 (so it’s coming up real fast)

HC:  When did you join rugby and why?

KF: I joined my freshman fall semester. A friend I met in my O-group said she was going to try it out and I tagged along. I had no idea what rugby really was, but I knew I had not been to the gym since I had gotten to school and I was fearful of the freshman 15 so I decided to play. The first workout I did with the team was brutal because burpees are the worst. I have been apart of a sports team ever since I started rec soccer in kindergarten so joining rugby was also a way to help me adjust to being in college. It is the best decision I ever made and the reason I stayed at St. Mike’s.

HC: Best part of being on rugby?

KF: For me the best part about rugby is that I feel like I finally found my favorite sport to play. I have played everything including but not limited to soccer, track, baton twirling, figure skating, tennis and field hockey. Yes, I was a figure skater back in the day and that is something my mom loves to bring up during conversations about rugby for some reason. She thinks rugby is very rough and that I should go back to wearing the beaded dresses and skating. I, on the other hand, love the physical side of rugby. I used to get carded all of the time in high school so it is so nice to not have worry about that. It is a lot of fun playing a sport I like to describe as organized chaos.

HC: Describe the day in the life of a rugby player?

KF: We practice four days a week and have two morning lift sessions. Our games are usually on Saturdays. It is a big time commitment but it helps me with my time management for schoolwork. We spend so much time as a team and luckily we don’t get sick of each other! I live with all rugby players, so we are always together and always in pain.

HC: How did it feel to win the championship?

KF: It is a very exciting accomplishment! We have been practicing and playing since pre-season and it makes all of the hard work worth it. Last years Championship was one I wanted to win for the seniors of the team. I was going abroad and it was my last season and semester with some of my best friends, so I wanted to win before they left me. This year I wanted to win because it is my last season playing. I do not think many people on campus even know we won which is the slightly disheartening fact. We are now for two years in a row Undefeated Northeast Division II Champions! We are onto the sweet sixteen this upcoming weekend in PA so we will see how much further we can go in play-offs. I am very honored to be interviewed by Hercampus because no one at our school other than a nice email from Grace Kelly has congratulated us. Our big win was not even mentioned in the campus wide email in the sports section. We are still practicing in the cold, under the lighting on the threes field and I just want to say how proud I am of my team and our hard work. That saying “hard work pays off” is true apparently.

HC: What is the funniest thing that has happened to you while at SMC?

KF: There are too many stories to share…Let’s just say I’m a hot mess.

HC:  What has been the most influential thing about your smc experience and why?

KF: It sounds cliché but the friendships I have made with my teammates are by far the best part of my college experience. We are truly such an interesting mix of girls, with so many different personalities that just enjoy each other’s company. I have been apart of many teams and this team over my past four years has by far been my favorite to be apart of. The friendships I have gained make all of the practices and bruises worth it. My teammates are an amazing support system and anyone of us would do anything for another player. We have got each other’s backs and go out of our way to make each other laugh. One time, after one tough practice in the rain around midterms, the team was in a terrible mood and the girls started to complain. I decided to boost everyone’s morale, so I sprinted and dove headfirst through a huge mud puddle. As I stood up covered in mud, I saw my friends doubled over laughing at my ridiculousness and I knew the complaining had stopped. To me, rugby is a group of people I can have fun with but are also dependable and caring.

HC: What do you miss about alliot now that you are living in a townhouse?

KF: I am going to have to say I miss people watching. I loved seeing people’s alliot creations. My proudest discovery is golden graham cereal and vanilla soft serve. It is so good… seriously try it. I guess I also miss the cereal selection. I do not miss the alliot shits though. Probably can’t say that but just being honest.

HC: Why should people study abroad?

KF: If you have the opportunity to study abroad seriously do it. It was the best 5 months of my life! I lived in Copenhagen, Denmark and am trying to move back because I had so much fun. I could go on and on about my deep love for Denmark. Traveling around Europe was so amazing because I got to see things I have only read about or see in movies. I have never seen so many beautiful churches. My time in Denmark changed my point of view on so many topics but most importantly I discovered what I want to do with my life. Living in a country with universal healthcare and taking classes about public health and the biotech world showed me that I want to work in healthcare policy and economics. I will be forever thankful for my time abroad.

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.