For The Boys: To My Best Guy Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

It’s no secret that having a nice group of gal pals comes with highs and lows. Yes, it’s a blast to all pile in a car and spend an afternoon shopping around your local strip mall, trying on countless tops, and shoes, getting that extra ounce of support you need to step out of your comfort zone when buying that trendy skirt you were unsure about. But at times, that all can be a little too much. After a stressful day, sometimes all you want is to watch TV and eat chips with your boys—and that’s okay!

You should never completely shut out your girlfriends, but just chilling with the guys can be a nice change of pace. For the most part, boys tend to value a more low stress, chill atmosphere that we all need once in a while. Just sitting and watching a game with them provides a nice distraction from bigger issues, and their suite/room is a perfect place to go if you don’t feel like talking about anything. Chances are, you won’t be allowed to talk while their show is on anyway.

A strong group of guy friends are also great for when you do need to talk.  The guy’s perspective on your current love life issue, for example, is typically super helpful as your boys will always give their honest opinion. Whether it is “you’re overthinking everything, relax” or “listen, he’s not feeling it,” the boys can often read what’s going on better than any girlfriends. Though their honesty is brutal, it is all worth it for when they subtly toss in the “hey, you’re too good for this guy, walk away.” I know it may seem like they don’t want to hear it, or that they’re not listening, I promise they are, and your boys will always have your back.

And when the time comes when your heart gets broken, or something sketchy happens to you at a party, your guy best friends will be the first to jump out and defend you. No friend wants to see their other friends get hurt, but nothing screams “protective papa bear” like a guy friend watching their best girl-friend cry. Even though they do get tired of constantly telling you “no, you don’t look fat in that” or “you’ve gotta stop taking my clothes,” when the waters get rough they are the best life jacket you can ask for—they’d do anything to keep you safe and happy.

I don’t even know where to begin to explain the amount of love and gratitude I have for my group of guy friends. I can only hope you ladies out there are as lucky as I am and have some dudes that would do anything for you. If not, keep looking, it’s well worth the search. Fellas, you know who you are, thank you.

Walk with me on the pathway of more success, bless up.Studying Psychology at Saint Michael's CollegeEvents Director for HerCampusSMCVT 
CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.