This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

As undergraduate students we are constantly being challenged in an academic, professional, and social setting. It could be staying up until 4 am studying for an organic chemistry exam, or working on a presentation that we’ll stress about for weeks on end, or really any course-related pursuit that we pressure ourselves to do our best in. Sometimes this pressure can lead to anxieties and bitter feelings about assignments or projects, even the ones we feel passionately about or are interested in. We begin to complain as the work piles up and our free time dwindles to a near-to-nonexistent prospect. I too, am guilty of the audible grumble that emerges as I’m assigned three presentations, a paper, lab assignment, and an exam to prepare for in one week.

I think sometimes we have to remember the reason why we are here— to learn and to push ourselves to be the best we can be. The fact that we are given the opportunity to show what we can do and to be excellent, should we so chose to be, is a gift within itself. I appreciate the fact that I am here and given an academic arena in which I can perform. There are others who would probably love to get the opportunity to work hard and to expand themselves through a collegiate pursuit but who are not granted the same chances to do so. I think it is our obligation to respect the fortunate circumstances we are in as college students and to appreciate the work we are given, rather that cursing its existence. Like sunsets, our experiences here at Saint Mike’s will come and go, so we might as well take advantage of them while they’re present and full of hope.

Original Photo from Hailee Poulin

CC for HC SMCVT. Massachusetts girl, who somehow ended up in Northern Vermont. Senior at Saint Michel's College studying Media, Journalism & Digital Arts. Interests include: running, Bridesmaids, bagels, the color navy and guacamole. Firm believer that you can never be overdressed or overeducated.