10 Things You Think About When it gets Below Zero on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

1. Oh, so everyone is an athlete now? They should join the track team.

All of the sudden you see people running from building to building trying to spend as little time as possible outside. It’s not just a form of exercise, it’s a means of survival.

2. Where is Everyone?

Nearly everyone is camped out in their rooms most likely watching a movie and using lots and lots of blankets. Netflix and hot chocolate become the most important things in life. If you do see someone outside you a) should pray for their poor souls because wow, they are brave or b) should worry about their mental health because they have to be crazy to be outside.

3. I Can’t Stand This F***ing Cold!

If you hang out for awhile by an exit, you’re guaranteed to hear something like“F*** it’s cold” every time someone enters the building. It’s becomes something as common as saying, “Hey, how are ya doing?”

4. Maybe Chivalry Should Be Dead, Just for the Winter

Suddenly, holding the door for someone doesn’t seem as good of an idea. Every second you’re standing there holding the door, you’re standing one more second outside and letting lots of cold air in the building. You then become a cheerleader for the person you’re holding the door for. “Come one, come on! Who’s the greatest, you’re the greatest! Just a few more steps and I can be completely inside and get the feeling back into my toes!”

5. Do I Really Need Lunch Today? The Dining Hall is All the Way Over There….

You realize that you can’t stay in your room all day or you’ll starve. Sure you have some snacks, but that’s not gonna sustain you all day! All of the sudden going to the dining hall requires a major pep talk.

6.What Made Me Think Going Up North for School was a Good Idea?

Why didn’t you choose a school in Florida? or what about Cali? It’s probably always warm there! Why would you let yourself suffer through such frigid temperatures?!? The joke’s gotta be on you for that.

7. If My School Tells Me I Shouldn’t Go Outside, It’s Probably a Good Call.

When you start getting emails from Campus Security about going outside for fear of frostbite…you listen. Who would’ve known that it takes only 15 minutes?!?

8. I Swear If I Have to Put on One More Layer, I’m Not Going Out.

Although you may only be outside for a few minutes, layers are essential. Hat, gloves, sweatshirt, vest, jacket, scarf, go!

9. Sundae Sunday No Longer Seems Like a Good Idea

Ice cream is awesome, but also makes it seem even colder than it already is. You’ll probably end up having some anyway and regretting it once you decide to make the trek back outside.

10. At Least We’re Cold Together!

Even though it may feel like you’re the only one who feels super cold and that your hands may or may not fall off from forgetting your gloves, you’re not the only one. And warmer days are coming!