Why Sexism Drives the Negativity Surrounding Fangirls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I have been called a fangirl. And yes, I can acknowledge that I am one. But why have I felt embarrassed to admit this? I often find myself getting defensive when I am called a fangirl because, oh, haven’t you heard? Fangirls are just crazy, obsessive, hysterical and shallow teenage girls that don’t actually know anything about music, and they’re just infatuated with an artist’s or band members’ looks. In reality, said fangirls actually know a whole lot about music. I can attest to this because I am a very self-aware fangirl, and I know when you fall in love with someone’s music, this love is intertwined with a need to learn about all other aspects of their life as well. When you go down this rabbit hole of investigation, which is often consuming but always gratifying, you find out things that make the music so much more meaningful. 

Now we all know that you do not have to be a teenager to have a love for music. Nor do you have to be female. However, many male music fans do not face the same stereotypes or prejudices that come with being a fangirl. They can wait in line for hours to see their favorite artist without being shamed or ridiculed. Is it because they know more about music than fangirls? No. It’s because society still conforms to sexist double standards. 

Male fans can be, and are, just as obsessive over things as fangirls are. We have all encountered a devastated sports fan after their team lost an important game; emotions can get pretty high in sporting arenas. This is not to say that all men are sports fans or that all sports fans are men. That is simply not true and just another assumption derived from years and years of gender stereotypes. But, when a girl reveals herself as a football or basketball fan, it can only be because she finds the players attractive. Once again, here lies a double standard. I would consider myself a sports fan (yes, I am a girl, and I like sports). I enjoy going to baseball games and watching football on Sundays. Unlike my male friends, I have been made fun of for this, being called a “bandwagon” or a “pick-me-girl.” I often find myself having to prove to others that I, in fact, do know what I am talking about when it comes to basketball to even be taken seriously. 

Anyone can be a fan of anything, from sports to music to movies to books. But a problem exists when men are described as passionate while women are perceived as crazy and obsessive. Obviously, sexism is a big part of the problem. However, constricting gender roles also play a part. According to society, men are able to have rational reactions without being distracted by emotions whereas women are not as credible because their feelings always get in the way. I have seen too many men cry over a football game to believe this gender construct is true, however, that is not to say that being vulnerable and emotional should be looked down upon. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, no matter what gender you are, however it is important to recognize the different ways in which men’s and women’s emotions are perceived. 

It’s time that we stop depicting fangirls in such a negative light and start realizing what an amazing thing it is to be part of such an amazing community. Sports fans out there should know just how incredible that feeling is. There should be no shame in proclaiming your love for your favorite sports team, musician or actor. Fangirls immerse themselves in things that speak to them, that make them feel less alone. Everyone deserves to find something that means the world to them, but it is a sexist double standard to continue belittling women for their passions. So if you want to call me a fangirl, go ahead. If it means that I love the music of my favorite artists, then I am proud to be one. 

Hi! I am currently a senior at Saint Louis University studying Speech Language and Hearing Sciences and Spanish! I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love spending my time reading, going to concerts, and being outside!