Cinque terre
Cinque terre
Original photo by Alice Greneir

Who is “That Girl,” and Why Do We All Want To Be Her?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

If you have social media, there is a strong likelihood that you have encountered some version of what I like to call “That Girl.”

We’ve all seen her. She wakes up at 6 a.m., goes to the gym consistently, has time to cook healthy meals and studies, all in a day’s time. Everywhere we look, some version of her is inescapable. She plagues Pinterest boards, TikTok day-in-the-life videos and Instagram stories. If she is everywhere, the next logical question is why? What makes her so appealing?

The idea of “That Girl” is not a new one. She has had many different forms. Before social media, the idea of her permeated magazines, TV and any other sources that aided in media consumption. 50 years ago, she was busty and feminine like Marilyn Monroe. In the ’90s, she exuded coolness and confidence like Kate Moss. In short, she reflects who the average teenage girl wishes she could be. Many girls wish they could achieve some level of fame, but for most of us, the chances of achieving A-list celebrity status, in the likes of Kylie Jenner or Charli D’Amelio, are slim to none. “That Girl” tells us that we can all have her lifestyle, if we try hard enough. Our ability to become like her has nothing to do with chance; instead, it has everything to do with our own grit and willpower. She tells us that we can be her if we try hard enough.

The idea of “That Girl” perpetuates the notion that we as humans get our value from what we do, instead of who we are. We might never achieve being that girl, but we can try to convince others that we are her. Attempting to do so can be very damaging. By presenting ourselves in an idealized way, only showing the productive things we do, we too play into perpetuating the idea that our value comes from our productivity levels.

As consumers of media, we are oversaturated with media that feels fake. In every corner of the internet, we see people sharing an idealized version of life. Post-quarantine, there seems to have been a shift in the type of content people want to see. Instead of polished picture-perfect content, there has been a rise in creators sharing more about their real lives. These creators have taken over the short-form content world on apps such as TikTok, by sharing relatable stories about dating, family and life.

I hope in the near future, “That Girl” will shift to someone who is stylish, fun and most importantly, real.