burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Fashion

What to Wear This Autumn Season to Stay Versatile, Affordable and On-Trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Are you falling back into your old Zoom outfits for in-person learning on campus?

Look no further. Try out these stylish and comfortable pieces (that I have bought into
myself!).

Convertible Tops

What is a convertible top? No, I’m not talking about a car with an open roof. Convertible
tops are shirts that can be worn in many different ways. They could have multiple/longer
straps, strategically placed buttons or ties or can be worn backwards—essentially
creating your own top. You can wear these items multiple times and it will always look
like you are wearing something new. Spending $30 can get you five new shirts. I have
bought some of the best ones from Free People and can confirm they are cute as heck.

Quilting

Quilts are being reworked into jackets this season for a spin on the puffer trend. Do you
have an old quilt laying around from years ago? This could be the perfect opportunity to
put your crafting skills to the test. You can upcycle a no-longer-used jacket by fabric
gluing the quilt to the pattern of the jacket. Even just changing up the front or pockets
can add a unique and fashion forward addition to your closet. I have also gotten one
handmade on Depop for a good price. You also might have a winter coat that has a
removable inner jacket, which is most likely a quilted texture. This can be worn on its own
and is included in the quilted trend.

The “Lug Sole”

Chunky boots and loafers are the answers to your closet needs this autumn. Lug soles
are deep indents in the sole that create a “chunky” effect. Popular versions include:
colors other than black, knee-high and two-toned like the UO Betty Treaded Chelsea
Boot
. The perfect ones can be found from Vagabond Shoemakers, but they will cost you
an arm and a leg. I suggest Zara, Urban Outfitters and Asos, as well as American Eagle
and Nastygal, where I found my very own.

These items come in different versions and can be worn in a multitude of ways, and I
encourage you to buy items if they fit into your personal style and lifestyle.

Hi! I'm Isabel Bergmann, my major is marketing and I play in the university orchestra. You can catch me shopping at vintage stores, taking film pictures of my besties, trying out the newest cafe, or rewatching Friends.