This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As with many things that have changed this year, the way in which I find new music has changed. TikTok has taken over my life and I am sure everyone can agree who uses it that they spend too many hours on it without intending to. One of the cool things about the app is the way that it can make sounds viral due to trends and creative ideas. These sounds, many of them viral, have reminded me of some old music I used to love and have introduced me to new songs to my library, specifically what I have titled my quarantine playlist. Because of this, I decided at the beginning of the year, I would just add all the songs that I found on TikTok and liked to a playlist I have labeled “quarantine.” Here a few selections I made from the 459 songs that are on my Spotify playlist:

1. “F.O.M.O.” by Your Neighbors

Wow, what a song! I found this from TikTok when I was recommending different songs. I saw the album art and thought it looked cool, so I took a listen. This song is exactly the kind of song I love and made it to my titled playlist, “My favorite songs of all time.” Typically, with songs on this playlist it only takes one listen for me to add it and “F.O.M.O.” was not an exception. As with many of the songs that have made it on to this playlist, there is an ingenious use of instruments throughout the song such as with the unexpected opening of the saxophone (one of my favorite instruments) to the drums and guitar lines that carry the melody of the song. I think some songs are just meant to be in your life.

2. “Tonight” by Alaina Castillo

This song appeared on my FYP (For You Page) as a promotion for the music video. I decided that I liked what I heard from that short clip and listened to the rest of the song. This song is not only relatable as a girl but has that basic feel-good vibe that makes you want to get out of your seat and dance. Also, I do not know if this is weird, but I generally like it when the artist is able to add something unexpected in the song sometimes in talking form. Alaina Castillo on the bridge asks, “Should I rap here?” as the lyrics go kind of awkward as she loses the beat not knowing what to say or do when the producer says no, but this just further adds to the relatability.

3. “It is Not Right but It is Okay” by Whitney Houston, Chris Cox and Barry Harris

I found this song from a dancing TikTok which I do enjoy watching on the regular. I had never heard this song before, despite being an avid Whitney Houston fan. I grew up on the ’70s/’80s music my mom and dad listened to when they were younger, and this song is very similar to ’70s/’80s music despite being released in the late ’90s. It is just fun.

4. “Damn Right” by Audrey Nuna

This was another song that was promoted to me on my FYP as a music video that I went to further check out. I was pleasantly surprised by what the song sounded like. It is interesting now to see how record labels have seen the benefit of TikTok as a marketing device that they can use to their advantage, especially during COVID times as many in-person promotions were canceled. This song in general is just good to vibe to as Audrey Nuna‘s rhythm is so precise and interesting to listen to.

5. “Heartbreak Anniversary” by Giveon

“Heartbreak Anniversary” is very close to being added to my “favorite songs of all-time” playlist. I honestly don’t even remember how I came across this song on TikTok, but it made me listen to the rest of Giveon’s discography. This song made me realize (and remember) that my favorite genre of music to listen to is jazz and R&B. Giveon’s tone throughout the song is so smooth that it’s addicting to listen to. His voice just fills the entire song up. The lyrics are also very good and fit the melody and the song perfectly.

6. “Head Over Heels/Broken” by Tears for Fears

This was another song that I also do not remember how I found it on TikTok, but it just surprised me by where it went. The beginning is characterized by a very dramatic piano seemingly as though the song will go into a ballad but ends up turning into an ’80s pop song. This song as well I had not heard before growing up but was not surprised by how much I liked it when it was an ’80s pop song.

7. “Sunrise” by Kenny Elrod

I found this song on the original creator’s TikTok that he had made on his birthday promoting the song. He was not verified and was just asking people to listen to it as he had just turned 16 and this was his very first single. After hearing it in the background I decided to listen to the rest of it and was just so impressed that he had created this song on his own without any help as it sounded professionally done. This is another song that has a similar ’70s/’80s pop song vibe, so I was bound to love it. He has not made any other songs, but he is someone I will be checking out in the future when he comes out with more songs. 

8. “Can I Call You Tonight?” by Dayglow

This song was and still is extremely popular on TikTok. Many people used it to show the memories they had with their friends before quarantine started. This is not surprising as with the use of guitar and echoed vocals the song gives the feel of as though someone is daydreaming or remembering memories. It is the perfect song to listen to when driving late at night. It makes you contemplative but gives you hope that nothing is impossible.

9. “Me & You” by HONNE & Tom Misch

Yet another song that I do not remember how I found. I had never heard of HONNE before, but as what happened with Giveon, when I listened to this song it made me listen to the rest of their discography. While I enjoyed everything, this song is still probably my favorite. I think it has a very similar vibe to “Sunrise” and “Tonight” that I mentioned earlier. This song is just another one of your typical feel-good songs that makes you want to get out of your seat and dance.

10. “Almond Eyes” by Novaa

I do not know how many times I will say this, but I again do not remember how I found this song on TikTok. I do not think this song is going to be everyone’s cup of tea. In fact, I need to be in a specific mood to listen to it. It is simultaneously very orchestral and rock at the same time due to the string’s synths used throughout the entire song. The subject matter is what drew me to the song as Novaa talks about sexual assault and the objectification that every woman faces at some point in their life. She also sings with so much anger and emotion that makes her not only addicting to listen to but relatable. I, of course, also added to this my feminist playlist on Spotify: “Ok me.”

11. “Super Rich Kids” by Frank Ocean & Earl Sweatshirt

Last one! I had completely forgotten about this song until I heard it in a TikTok. This song, like “Heartbreak Anniversary”, was just another reminder of how much I love R&B music. The lyrics tell a whole story that makes you want to keep listening to the song to see what happens, despite the catatonic quality of the song. The consistent beat while keeping the song catatonic does place some anxiety in the listener as if it is leading to a climax where something bad will happen such as the person in the song jumping off the roof, but nothing bad ever happens. This is the whole point of the song as Frank Ocean masterfully writes a story through lyrics portraying the catatonic lives of these super-rich kids.

This was obviously a very small selection of the songs that have made it on to my very extensive playlist. TikTok has opened my eyes a lot to many different songs and genres. It has been fun as a music lover to see the different songs that become popular on TikTok and the changes that have happened in music marketing.

If you would like to check out the whole playlist, check out my “quarantine” playlist on my Spotify.

Erin Kahle is a sophomore Communications major at Saint Louis University.