This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

During my semester abroad in Spain, I went on two solo trips, which actually turned out to be some of my favorites. I had the advantage of being a natural independent adventurer. I love spending time alone and going on adventures that allow me to be completely selfish with what I want to do. This is why I recommend that students go on at least one solo trip during their time abroad. Here are my tips for the solo traveler, especially female travelers like myself.

Enjoy the loneliness.

This is my first tip because the fear of loneliness is what deters most people from solo travel. When I told my friends that I booked a solo trip, I was usually asked, “aren’t you scared?” or “won’t you be lonely?” These questions struck me as odd because I had never even considered these possibilities while planning the trips. As human beings, we desire social connection and often feel that special memories can only be made with others. It’s important to remember that this is an opportunity to do whatever you want to do and create memories that will be your own, and that’s very special as well. It helped me to bring a book or notebook around with me so I always had something to occupy my mind.

Research if the country is part of the European Union (European travel only).

Currently, 23 countries located in the continent of Europe are not part of the European Union (EU). I added this to the list because it is something that I neglected to think about. When I traveled to Switzerland, which is not part of the EU, my SIM card did not work because it was a EU SIM. I arrived in the country at 10 p.m. and couldn’t use my phone at all, so that was a fun learning experience. I purchased a Swiss SIM card as early as I could the next day. Consider doing more research on where you’re going than I did for my first solo trip.

Be picky with accommodations.

There are many things that we don’t have to consider when traveling in groups that deserve special consideration when traveling alone. As a solo traveler, I suggest prioritizing safety and choosing a hotel rather than a hostel or Airbnb for accommodations. I have stayed in some very nice hostels, but I have also heard stories from friends who had to sleep with their wallet and passport in their clothes at hostels, so I try to avoid those when traveling by myself. With hotels, the hotel staff is there to answer questions and arrange transportation, which you probably wouldn’t have with a hostel or Airbnb.

Pack wisely.

Bring a battery pack so that you can enjoy the entire day adventuring, rather than finding outlets to recharge at. I also recommend bringing a lock for your bag, multiple forms of payment and a filtered water bottle. These items will help you stay safe, so all you have to worry about is having fun.

Provide close contacts with the details of your trips.

While it can be fun to sort of go off the grid and have a mysterious solo trip, it is important to have people who know the details of your trip. Give your close contacts at home and abroad your travel information so they can assure that you arrive at your destinations and back home safely.

Print out reservations and tickets.

We tend to think that technology will always work for us, but sometimes your phone won’t load details, or it dies at the most inconvenient time. For these reasons, it is helpful to have printed copies of important information, even in the modern age of the 21st century. 

The most important advice I can give is to have fun and try new things! If you can navigate the planning, language barrier and problem-solving on your own, you can do anything.

Junior student at SLU just trying to give her mom something to put on the fridge.