Three Times Stevie Nicks Re-Earned Her Legendary Status

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Hailed as the Queen of Rock and Roll, Stevie Nicks has captivated listeners for decades. Her contributions to the band Fleetwood Mac and a successful solo career have earned her an esteemed reputation as one of the most powerful female vocalists of all time. In fact, she is the only woman to have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame twice; first as a member of Fleetwood Mac in 1998 and then as a solo artist in 2019. 

Beyond her incredible musical talents, her unique fashion taste and whimsical character set her apart from other iconic music personalities. Nicks’ habit of twirling around on stage is complemented by her common regalia of gossamer tunics, witchy shawls and flowy chiffon– fashion choices that still inspire legions of young queer women to this day.

The list of reasons to adore Stevie Nicks is endless, but personally, her unabashed self acceptance is the main reason she is an idol of mine. From deciding not to shy away from her abortion story to forcing her ex-boyfriend to play backing guitar in a song about him, Nicks has remained authentic and iconic throughout her 50+ year career. Here are the top three times Nicks cemented her status as a legend.

1. Appearing on “American horror story: coven”

Nicks finally embraced decades of disparaging comments and accusations of practicing the occult due to her vampy style when she appeared on season three of “American Horror Story: Coven” as the “White Witch.” Although she eventually appeared on eight episodes throughout the season, she initially wasn’t even supposed to be in the show at all. When show executives reached out to Nicks to ask permission to use her music, they included a brief description of Misty Day, one of the witches at Miss Robichaux’s Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies, and her admiration of Nicks as a “friend and her mom and her conscious.” Nicks reportedly replied that’s all she “always ever wanted to be to anybody” and upped the ante by agreeing to appear on screen for the show. 

Nicks performs several of her greatest hits, including “Rhiannon” and “Gypsy” for the coven while showing off her powers and teaching Day how to perfect her twirl. Nicks even gifts Day her signature shawl, which has seen stages all across the world, as a good luck charm for the test of the Seven Wonders, which determines the next Supreme of the coven. 

In my personal favorite opening scene ever, Nicks performs “Seven Wonders” as the students at the academy study for the test of the Seven Wonders. The whimsy and theatrics of the scene fill me with joy everytime and of course, so does the vibrant music. One of the most iconic lines of the entire franchise is spoken by Nicks to the class of young witches, “Good luck, girls!” as she finishes her performance. 

2. Performing “silver springs” live in 1997

Fleetwood Mac’s live performance of “Silver Springs” at the Warner Brothers Studios in Burbank, California during their 1997 “The Dance” tour has long been hailed as their most infamous performance and remains a favorite among fans. The reunion was the only time this track was performed live, as it was cut from the “Rumours” album shortly before its release in 1977. You can truly hear Nicks’ contempt for guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, Nicks’ ex-fiance and the subject of the song, through her provocative vocals and scathing gaze, as she turns to look directly at him as she sings, “You’ll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you.” I get chills every time!

Her incredible songwriting skills are on display during this performance, as she weaves a spectacular tale she imagined after driving past a sign advertising Silver Springs, Maryland. More than this, Nicks absolutely commands the entire stage, demanding the focus of all audience members and especially Buckingham himself. Her stage presence and passionate lyrics captivate the audience during this performance, and continues to stand the test of time as fans of Amazon Prime’s “Daisy Jones & The Six” speculate that the original inspiration for the fictional band was Fleetwood Mac. Taylor Jenkins Reid, author of “Daisy Jones & The Six,” later confirmed that this live performance inspired “Regret Me,” a song original to the book. The fact that this performance continues to inspire creatives more than 20 years afterwards speaks to how impactful Nicks’ talent is, and undoubtedly, Nicks will still be inspiring artists for at least another 20 years, if not until the end of time. 

3. getting candid about abortion rights

Nicks is no stranger to advocating for women’s rights, but she took it a step further when in 2020, she elected to share her personal experience of getting an abortion in 1979, shortly after Roe v. Wade was overturned. Nicks shared that it was ultimately the best choice for her, going so far as to say that, “If I had not had that abortion, I’m pretty sure there would have been no Fleetwood Mac.” At the time, Nicks was performing for Fleetwood Mac during two massive tours for “Rumours” and “Tusk,” on top of working on demos for her solo album, “Bella Donna.” Additionally, Nicks was surrounded by and actively participating in a culture of hard drugs that would’ve impacted anybody’s ability to be a present parent. 

By bravely sharing her story, Nicks helped break the stigma surrounding reproductive healthcare during a time when abortion rights were at the front and center of collective political thought. Even now, after the Supreme Court’s reversal of Roe v. Wade triggered a wave of laws restricting abortion procedures, Nicks’ story highlights the importance of choice and has undoubtedly helped many women come to terms with the difficult decision they face when terminating a pregnancy. 

Stevie Nicks is a cultural icon whose music will continue to be appreciated for generations to come. Beyond her musical abilities and songwriting genius, her personality, self expression and candidness are what truly make Nicks’ persona unforgettable. I can personally attest to the power her music has over me and I’m sure that thousands, even millions, of people across the globe can relate. 

My name is Anna Marlin and I am from Arlington Heights, IL. I am a current undergraduate student at Saint Louis University, studying History and Political Journalism on the pre-law track. I hope to work in the arts as a museum, art, and cultural heritage attorney. I am a very outdoorsy person; I love to go on hikes and work on my vegetable garden at home. Besides the outdoors, I am very passionate about art history and music. I love to learn about prominent figures across both disciplines in my free time. I especially love works from Francisco Goya, my favorite painter, and The Clash, my favorite band.