Amelia Kramer-Girl Driving On A Road Trip
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

4 Things I have learned as a commuter student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As a college student, I have the unique experience of having commuted for two out of my three semesters. During the time I have spent commuting, I have found a lot of beauty in the little things. Here are just some of the things that I have learned as a commuter student. 

1. Take the scenic route.

Too often, people get caught up in the busy nature of life. As a commuter, I have learned that it is important to change up our routes every once in a while. For me, a change of scenery really helps when completing important tasks and it adds a little spice to repetitive routines. Whether you live on campus or commute, leave extra early for your next class to walk a different way. Queue up some vibey songs and take advantage of how gorgeous campus is! It will open up your eyes to how beautiful life is.

1. Take up space.

Before college, I had  overwhelming anxiety that I was taking up too much space. Even at the start of college, I didn’t want to sit at a table in a public space. I felt like I was taking something from someone else. In a way, it felt illegal to be sitting somewhere I did not need to be. As a commuter, it became necessary to take up space during my breaks between classes. Over time, I have learned that my space is not a burden. No matter who you are, you are meant to take up space–do so unapologetically. Everyone around you will be all the richer for it. 

1. You are the main character. 

Every once in a while, I love to put on a fancier outfit than usual. My go-to is a skirt with tights and my heeled boots. When I wear something out of the ordinary from my day-to-day outfits, I find myself walking with more confidence. I am more determined to go to the library and study because I feel like the main character in a Nora Ephron film. As cheesy as it sounds, we are all the main characters of our lives. Take advantage of this. Dress to impress yourself. It will build your own confidence and it will be a lot of fun!

1. Embrace your own company.

I am in the car by myself for about an hour everyday. Sometimes I have to eat or study by myself. I have learned that this is totally okay. Everyone needs to be content in their own company. In college, it often feels like you have to be surrounded by people all the time. By commuting, I have found that you don’t have to be–it is freeing to give yourself your own space. 

Throughout my time as a commuter, I have learned to embrace the ordinary things in life like the campus I walk everyday or the happiness I get from picking an outfit. To give your simple actions more purpose is to see more beauty in everyday life. 

Hi! I'm a sophomore at SLU majoring in Communication with a focus in Journalism and Media Studies. I love to read and watch movies, usually in the romance genre. I also love to do my own nails, hang with my cats, and go to concerts! Thanks for reading <3