Life > Academics

The Unhealthy “High School” Academic Mindset in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

In the switch from high school to college, many people think of the social and independent aspect of living alone and finding your place in the world. My first year of college mainly focused on the transition in this area, but now I am face-to-face with my next big issue: conquering the academic difference. There is quite a stark difference between my classes in high school and college. My involvement in the National Honors Society and graduating on the Honor Roll made me believe that college would be similar, if not the same. News flash: it is very, very different. I am not the only person facing this, as many other people have gone through the same situation in high school and at Saint Louis University. 

During sophomore year of college, you’ll likely take more “major-related” courses and fewer required courses. This means your classes will be less like “high school” and become more academically rigorous, often touching on subjects and concepts you may not have been familiar with beforehand. As a result, achieving the highest can become second to actually learning the content. I have spoken to many people who are solely concerned about getting an A in a tough class this year, and while achieving a 90% or greater in class is amazing, it is not what matters the most now. I have realized that what matters more is the material you have learned and progress in your subject, and less about the letter grade. 

This switch in mindset is easier said than done, and I am still trying to get better. My classes this year have been more difficult, but all the material I have learned makes up for its rigor. After several nights worrying about whether maintaining a certain GPA is possible, my friends, family and professors have comforted me and have reminded me countless times that it is not the end of the world if I have “slip-ups.” Everyone has their struggles academically, a subject or area for everyone that can’t seem to click. It is unhealthy to believe that you need to be great at every subject of higher education. 

If you are experiencing the same stress as I am, this is a reminder that you are not alone! I recommend reaching out to your professors and showing them that you care about your grade, and most of them will be accommodating and willing to help. You aren’t the first student to experience this struggle, so they will know how to help. 

While there are things you can do to help your grades, make sure to check in with yourself mentally. Talk to your friends and family, and do something you love to do between studying. Life is so much more than a letter on a paper. Avoid overworking yourself and study in advance for exams, but always stay confident in yourself and remember that you know more than you think you do. One grade on a test is certainly not equal to your future.

Writer, advocate and friend to all dogs. I am my own comedian as well as a coffee shop enthusiast. In my free time, I enjoy playing Animal Crossing and listening to Spotify's "Pollen" playlist!