The Magic That Is “Magic Mike”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As I have grown up in this world that is often not catered to the needs of women, I have turned into a self-proclaimed, friend-confirmed maneater through and through. I recommend Nelly’s song, “Maneater,” if you’re not quite sure what that term means. Maneating is a self-defense mechanism, really. It’s better to be a predator than prey, right? So never in my world of misandry would I have ever believed that I would become a raging stan of the “Magic Mike” franchise. Yes, you heard me right—the Channing Tatum, Matthew McConaughey, male-stripper movies. And never would I ever have believed that I would be listing a multitude of points as to why these two movies—“Magic Mike” and “Magic Mike XXL”—are the best movies I’ve seen in a very long time.

Let’s talk about the portrayal of women in media, movies specifically. We all know that most of our favorite movies for a girls’ night in are about a workaholic woman who just needs a man to learn how to be herself and love her life, or they are about the pretty, sexy woman with no brain who is a dating precursor to the more accomplished, less pretty woman. If the movies love one thing, they love a damsel in distress and they love the all-women-are-the-same model. So, I think it’s about time that we start objectifying men in movies! If there’s one thing that the “Magic Mike” series does best, it’s the objectification of men.

As a woman, I can vouch that many women love a good theatrical performance. “Magic Mike” and “Magic Mike XXL” cater to this desire directly. The intricate choreography of the routines in these movies had my jaw dropping constantly. From Channing Tatum’s iconic dance to the song “Pony” to the crew’s last dance routine in “Magic Mike XXL,” these scenes are surprisingly creative, rightfully steamy and allow us women to forget—for just a moment—about the never-ending strife that men cause for us in this world.

While I do appreciate the ability of these movies to remind us that men should be “seen and not heard,” they also have some redeeming qualities for men as a whole, I must grudgingly admit. The emphasis on male friendships and the power of community is almost tear-jerkingly wholesome. Channing Tatum’s character, Mike (yes, Mike as in Magic Mike), brings a young, directionless boy, Andy, played by Alex Pettyfer, under his wing. Although stripping pulls Andy out of his past life, it is a career and a community that lift him up.

“Magic Mike” also subtly rejects many stereotypes about strippers. The group of guys refer to themselves as “male entertainers” and break a team huddle before their big shows by chanting “male entertainers!” This scene will have you laughing, tearing up and wondering why you’re tearing up. 

While it is men that are running the show in this movie, women are calling the shots. As male entertainers, the majority of their customers are women. Thus, women are the providers for all of the male characters in this movie and, if the men fail to please the women, they will be deprived of a living. What a cool concept!

Another girlboss moment in “Magic Mike XXL” is when Mike seeks help from an old friend. He is escorted to the door of this friend, and a man opens the door. We assume this man is the friend until Mike walks past him and a woman appears. This friend, named Rome, helped Mike make a name in the industry and calls all the shots for the men that work for her.

Rome MC’s an event that Mike and crew are performing at, and she says to the female attendees, “Every last one of you up in here is a queen, and don’t you ever forget it.” She is the queen bee, and she is the one reminding women of how amazing they are. No men needed for validation here!

Just when these movies couldn’t get any better, these movies are also size inclusive. The women that are brought up on stage during performance scenes represent all shapes and sizes. These producers are really checking all the boxes!

Lastly—in hopes of not spoiling the second movie, I will keep this vague—Mike, with all his good looks and charm, doesn’t “get the girl.” He is interested in a woman, but without going into detail, he explains that she just decided not to stick with him. She is not demonized and, while society may expect her to completely fold for Mike as he is handsome, funny and the Magic Mike, she doesn’t. It’s that simple. A woman has other wants and needs and follows them, even if it means leaving a hot hunk of meat behind.

From size inclusion to representing women that don’t need men to be successful, the “Magic Mike” movies blend an appreciation for the male physique with the acknowledgment that every man needs women to a certain degree. I have never rewatched a movie as quickly as I rewatched these ones. If you’re looking for a laugh, swoon or smile, I suggest you work your way over to HBO Max and check this franchise out.

Lucy is a senior at Saint Louis University studying occupational therapy. In her free time—if she has any—you may find her curating music for her DJ gig with KSLU radio, shooting hoops at the Rec Center, or drinking a fun little beverage. Her writing is like her life: sporadic, passionate, full of energy, and a bit all over the place.