Salsa and Bachata: Learning Latin Dance Gave Me Confidence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Have you ever seen the movie “Dirty Dancing”? Well, I have, and I can honestly say I never thought I’d come into a situation feeling how Baby is portrayed to feel. But, just recently, I felt her character to be very relatable.  

My friends and I wandered into a salsa club and I was half expecting to sit in the corner for the majority of the night and simply be in awe of the movement around me. I have never in my life taken a dance class and assumed this would inhibit me from experiencing the situation to the fullest. The salsa club, however, had another idea. 

Immediately upon arrival, everyone got asked to dance by Spanish people ranging from young adults to those closer to my grandparents’ age, from all different backgrounds and all different levels of dance ability. Of course, my first instinct was to say, “Oh no, I don’t know how to dance,” but that was quickly rejected as an excuse and soon I was in the middle of the dance floor being taught the Bachata by a man named Santiago. 

As he explained the steps, an overwhelming feeling of hesitation came over me as I realized I would be on the same dance floor as people who did this for a living. But I could make it through one dance, I assured myself, and then flee to the furthest corner of the bar. Four steps to the right. Four steps to the left. Easy enough, I thought. 

After the first few eight counts, it was decided that I could learn something a bit more complex and soon it actually felt like I was dancing and maybe knew just a few steps. Spins and dips and and turns and so much more, and soon I was feeling more confident. We switched dance partners, learned a few line dances and closed the place down.

Going into the situation I doubted myself and my ability a lot. I obviously was out of my comfort zone. I, like so many people, tend to avoid situations like this but found myself right in the middle of one. Everyone at the dance club was incredibly welcoming and excited that we were even trying. They made sure to help and give good advice and keep everything light and fun. This has been one of my favorite nights in Madrid yet, because I learned so much more about myself and Spain and its people. I never expected to get so much out of Salsa and Bachata but it honestly taught me a lot. It’s freeing and refreshing to be able to dance like nobody’s watching in a room full of people.  

Choosing to do things like this has become a theme in my study abroad experience, and I hope to take it into the rest of my life.There is a lot of pressure in society to do things only if you’re really good at them. We are raised to strive to be perfectionists and avoid failures at all costs. It feels comfortable to do things that you’ve been doing your whole life, things that you grew up with. But that takes the thrill out of life! Failure is good for so many reasons and the world is full of second chances and opportunities to find something new! It might not be exactly what you expected but you’re guaranteed to find something you love and learn so much about yourself if you just keep trying. 

While I am definitely not much better of a dancer and I am nowhere near the level that most people there were, this night gave me so much confidence about being able to step out of my comfort zone and do something I’ve never done before, even when I’m hesitant. The next time you’re feeling skeptical about a situation, choose to dance! It might be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.

A Texas girl who is passionate about a better earth, a better world and an authentic life. A nursing major who lives mostly off of iced chai lattes and guacamole. Very open to book suggestions. An avid fan of all records and traveling.