This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Fast fashion has taken our society by storm. Clothing items go in and out of style at the snap of an influencer’s perfectly manicured fingers. Trends come and go faster than you can say “unethical labor practices.” For this reason, cheap and dishonest fashion websites, like Shein, are thriving. While websites like these may be easy on your wallet, they take a heavy toll on the environment. 

While it can be tempting to give in to the latest and greatest trends on Instagram, nothing can beat a person’s individual style. A curated personal style does not require new items every month. It is a way that an individual consistently presents themselves, without the influence of what’s currently “popular.” Thrift shopping can be a great way to ethically collect items that reflect your own personal style.

For $20 on Shein, you can buy two poorly made polyester swimsuits that are in style this season but will be tragically out of fashion by the next. For $20 at the Goodwill bins, a vintage leather skirt, a Nike sweatshirt, a few books you haven’t read yet, some oversized graphic T-shirts and a new pair of jeans can all be coming home with you, and with no cost for shipping.

My favorite item in my closet is a vintage leather jacket that I bought for $7. I tried it on in the thrift store and it fit like a glove. Once I got home, I examined the tag and did some research. The jacket that I loved so dearly and fit so well was made in 1965. Perfectly vintage, and yet perfectly aligned with my personal style. This makes thrift shopping so fun—you never know what you’re going to find. 

St. Louis is filled to the brim with thrift stores. Some specialize in vintage fashion, and others curate extensive collections of antique items. Here is a non-exhaustive list of some of the best places to explore, right here in our own SLU neighborhood.

1. The goodwill outlet

3728 Market St.

Commonly referred to as “the bins,” the outlet is right across the street from SLU on the far side of the Foundry. The bins are a pay-by-pound system, with each pound costing a whopping 25 cents. The only catch? You have to dig for your items. The store is essentially a warehouse with hundreds of bins filled with donated items. It’s absolute chaos— and an absolute blast. You never know what you’re going to find. You just have to be willing to roll up your sleeves and indulge in the search. 

2. Salvation Army

4121 Forest Park Ave.

Located within walking distance from campus, the Salvation Army is a traditional thrift store. Everything is organized by color. They have a wide range of shoes and jackets with plenty of clothes to search through. This is also a great place to get furniture and other decor for your apartment without breaking the bank.

3. Avalon Exchange

6392 Delmar Blvd.

Located on the Delmar Loop, Avalon is a classic St. Louis spot. Full of eclectic and trendy items, the variety of items they sell is limitless. They have a huge selection of vintage tees ranging in price from $10 to $40, depending on the quality. They also have fun items like hats, sunglasses and shoes that could be perfect for your next themed event or party.

4. Reset vintage apparel

2607 Bellevue Ave.

Unlike the other stores on this list, Reset is considered to be high-end vintage. Their items run pricier because they are typically highly sought after. Vintage high-top Jordan’s, old merchandise from your favorite rapper and rare designer finds are all common items at this Maplewood location. If vintage is your thing, this store is a must. 

5. Found by the pound

3232 South Grand Blvd.

Found by the Pound is another store where, as the name suggests, items are bought per pound. Now through February, everything in the store is $2 per pound. Found by the Pound has a curated collection of old tees, motorcycle jackets, and plenty of denim. They also have a wide variety of party attire with no shortage of quirky and unique clothing items. 

If you’re bored of what the influencers are wearing, I encourage you to explore your local thrift stores. Create your own personal style while saving money and buying ethically. Your closet, your wallet and the earth will thank you for it.

Happy thrifting!

Likes long walks on the beach and over-sharing on the internet