Hawaii Girl Happy Explore Jacket Beach Adventure
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

My Top Three Tips for Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I recently came back from studying abroad in Madrid, Spain. I always knew I wanted to study abroad somewhere in Europe, and from the time when I was 16, I was researching about it for fun. However, most people decide at the last minute, which is completely normal. This can be a little more stressful if you have not planned far enough in advance. I am here to provide some insight to make things go more smoothly for you.

Finances

The dreaded financial aspect of studying abroad is something that should be considered. I would recommend booking flights as far in advance as possible to get the cheapest prices as well as coming up with a budget. While I did live in Spain, I traveled to other countries and cities almost every weekend, so I had to keep in mind the cost of transportation, food, activities, lodging and more. As if this is not stressful enough you also need to make sure the friends you are traveling with are on the same page as you when it comes to these things. I saw some friendships go through rocky phases because people had different intentions when it came to spending their money. So before you book a flight, make sure you know what you and your friends are planning on doing when arriving at your destination.

Independence

Being independent was the hardest part about studying abroad for me. On Instagram everyone is always out with their friends or partying, but in real life you are still going to school and your friends might not be interested in the same activities as you. I found Madrid to be a safe city when it came to transportation, which made finding my independence a lot easier. Of course, as in any city, at night you should stay in groups and pay attention, but during the day I was comfortable doing things by myself. 

Transportation takes a while to figure out, which is normal. I enjoyed my route to school and other places because I had to take a bus and the Metro which meant I could read or listen to music on the way. Traveling to school in the morning is definitely different than waking up half an hour before your class starts and walking over, and you have to give yourself plenty of time especially since you will most likely have to wait for your bus or train. 

When it comes to doing activities by yourself, sometimes you just have to put yourself out there and go for it. I started by going out to eat or shopping by myself and eventually became comfortable doing more activities out alone. It can feel awkward at first, but when you realize nobody cares or is paying attention to you specifically, you will begin to feel a lot more secure and confident in yourself. I would actually recommend doing some things by yourself even if you are traveling with a big group because it can help with your self-discovery as well as give you some time to think and enjoy your experience rather than always being on the run.

Packing

Lastly, packing was one of the most difficult parts of preparing for study abroad. I took a backpack, a carry-on suitcase and my big suitcase. There was not much room to pack everything I felt comfortable having with me, therefore I had to make difficult decisions about what would stay at home and what I would bring to Madrid. I also had to keep in mind that I would most likely bring souvenirs home with me so I needed space for those in my suitcase. I went to Spain in the spring semester so until around April and May, it was mostly cold. I packed lots of layers, but also things like swimsuits and shorts for when it came time to travel to warmer countries. 

Some things I would recommend packing are comfortable shoes, light jackets and travel sized toiletries. You are most likely going to be doing a lot of walking if you are studying abroad in Europe so your shoes are going to get worn out and used to the max. It is important to find a comfortable pair that also are more on the stable side. For example, I brought Air Force Ones, which meant that when it was raining or sleeting outside I did not have to worry about my shoes being overly spongy and gross. Light jackets will come in handy when it comes to layering so that way you are always prepared for whatever the weather brings that day without having to carry a bulky coat around with you. This is especially useful in the spring when the weather starts becoming warmer. Next, I would recommend bringing refillable travel sized toiletries to use when you first arrive and then buy full sized products when you arrive. This will save space in your suitcase, and you can reuse them for trips that you may plan during the semester. 

I would not recommend packing too many pairs of shoes or clothes. Pack the staples that you wear all of the time. However, make sure they are good quality and dressy because Europeans tend to dress more business casual. They do not wear workout clothes out and about on a daily basis. For example, leggings are not commonly worn in public. Jeans were a staple for me especially.

While there are many stressors abroad, the great thing is that everything falls into place eventually despite them. You will find your routine within all of the chaos and adventure, and it will be so exciting. Don’t let the stress of the little details ruin your fun adventures because while many things can be fixed, making good memories in amazing places around Europe is something that cannot be replaced. Make the most of your time abroad and remember to relax because your plans will work out.

Senior at Saint Louis University. Loves seeing positivity and sunshine.