This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Let’s be real: reading for school and reading for pleasure are very different. I know I’m not alone when I say that high school English class kind of ruined reading for me. In high school, it’s hard to find time to read books that you really want because you are most likely already reading one assigned for a class. 

1. “It Ends With Us” by Colleen Hoover

(trigger warning for domestic abuse and violence)

As a child, I absolutely loved to read. I spent most of elementary school reading “A Series of Unfortunate Events” and “Harry Potter” along with all the other books you probably remember. Yes—I was that kid that would read at recess instead of playing tag with other kids—and my parents would have to check on me at night to make sure I wasn’t staying up too late reading. 

It’s natural to fall out of a routine of reading for pleasure, even when it’s something you enjoy. Last year, I found myself needing a new hobby, so I decided to take up reading again. And let me tell you, what my free time is filled with has completely switched from Netflix to paperbacks. But don’t get me wrong, it’s hard to get back into reading when the last book you read for pleasure was “The Fault in Our Stars” in middle school. So if you’re like me, and you want to get back into reading but don’t know quite where to start, here is my list of five easy reads that will reinvent your outlook on reading for pleasure.

This was actually the first novel that I read last year when I started dipping my toes into reading once again. And let me tell you, this is the perfect book to do that. “It Ends With Us” tells the story of Lily Bloom, a 23-year-old living in Boston who meets Ryle, a charming neurosurgeon who seems too good to be true. The plot line of this book is addictive, as Hoover so beautifully captures the pain, joy and loss that love entails. I really felt a connection to the characters in this novel and truthfully couldn’t put it down once I started it. This is a book that, once I finished it, made me feel like it would be unfair to start another one without letting the true depth of this story sink in first. I can not say enough good things about this book and I recommend that everyone read it (but with Kleenex close by).

2. “Red, White & Royal Blue” by Casey McQuiston

“Red, White & Royal Blue” is a great book if you’re looking for a light-hearted and fun romance novel. It tells the story of an illicit romance between the President of the United States’ son, Alex Claremont-Diaz, and his childhood nemesis, Prince Henry of Wales. This is your classic enemies-to-lovers trope filled with lots of romance and fun. It’s surely not the most thought provoking book I’ve ever read and is a bit predictable, but definitely worth the read if you’re looking for a fun, easy read. 

3. “One of Us is Lying” by Karen McManus 

For all my mystery junkies, this one’s for you. This novel follows the gripping story of four high schoolers as suspects in a murder of one of their fellow classmates. Each chapter switches from each of their perspectives as they reveal all of their own secrets. This book really had a twist that I was not expecting. One of the reasons I love mystery novels is because they get you hooked from the beginning and make you want to keep reading so you’ll know what happens. “One of Us is Lying” definitely captivated me and was a true page-turner. 

4. “Beach Read” by Emily Henry

If you can’t tell by now, I love romance novels. “Beach Read” is another enemies-to-lovers theme about January and Gus, polar opposites. They engage in a summer-long challenge that brings them closer together and eventually… no spoilers here, but you get the gist. It’s hard not to become fascinated by their complicated relationship and get attached to the characters. Henry’s writing is simple, yet creative which makes “Beach Read” the perfect book to help you jump back into reading. This was another great, fast read that I enjoyed over the summer by the pool and by the beach, as the title suggests.

5. “Conversations With Friends” by Sally Rooney

This last novel is a little different from the others I have mentioned. Although it’s the shortest book on this list, “Conversations With Friends” makes you think about relationships and vulnerability in a whole new light. It follows the life of Frances, an observant and quiet 21-year-old, and her ex-lover and best friend Bobbi, who is outspoken and captivating. They become friends with a married couple, Melissa and Nick, and the relationships that form change all of them. Every page of this book made me feel a new emotion and Frances’s character frustrated me, fascinated me and resonated with me. “Conversations With Friends” tells a story that you can’t help but enjoy.

Hi! I am currently a senior at Saint Louis University studying Speech Language and Hearing Sciences and Spanish! I am from the suburbs of Chicago and love spending my time reading, going to concerts, and being outside!