This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

‘Tis the season for all things cozy and festive, merry and bright. A couple weekends ago, I got to travel home for a friend’s wedding, and, while catching up with my mom, she mentioned that she had a “Favorite Things Party” to go to. During this fun social function, each person brings three sets of a few favorite items—anything from coffee blends to essential oils to books—to swap and share with other people. Everyone gets to take home three “new favorite” things to try, so the event is an excuse to share time and joy with friends. After considering this idea, I decided I wanted to make a list of my recent favorites to learn more about myself and practice gratitude during this time of giving and reflection.

So, in the spirit of the season, “these are a few of my favorite things.” 

St. Louis Stops: The Best Eats in a Great Food City

Going out to eat is one of my favorite ways to explore the city! My favorite restaurants in St. Louis right now are Mama’s On The Hill and The Fountain on Locust. Mama’s is a classic Italian family restaurant where my lovely parents took me for my birthday dinner, and I have yet to try something that was not fantastic. The Fountain on Locust is one of St. Louis’ hidden gems and was introduced to me by my roommate, a St. Louis native. It has a retro cafe feel and is uniquely St. Louis with its old-school glam artwork and a menu that features everything from a fig, ham and gouda grilled cheese to a barbecue mac and cheese bowl. You can also finish the meal off with a decadent homemade ice cream sundae, float or martini. A big selling point for me was that both places have gluten-free options that stay together and taste delicious. 

Fall Fun: Activities That Made the Season

I started fall off right by making a trip to Eckert’s Farm in Belleville when my mom came into town to visit. Nothing screams fall more than sweaters, apple and pumpkin picking, cider donuts and finishing the day off with “When Harry Met Sally.” My other favorite fall moments were baking decadent pumpkin s’mores bars with my sister and having a Harry Potter movie marathon with my roommates. 

Beverages: The Surest Study Pick-Me-Up

Sometimes, the littlest things make me the happiest, and getting a cute little drink is one of my favorite ways to slow down and enjoy. The top of my favorites list has to be the iced caramel latte; I don’t think I can be in a bad mood while drinking this silky sweet caramel beverage. My favorite has to be from Fresh Gatherings on SLU’s South campus or Protagonist Cafe in Soulard, which is a book and coffee lover’s paradise for a cozy afternoon. Hear me out: my next favorite is a can of Ginger Lime Prebiotic Soda by Poppi. It tastes like a cross between ginger ale and Braum’s limeade and never ceases to satisfy my taste buds. Rounding out my list is a fudge brownie batter protein shake that my sister stumbled upon on Instagram. It is a chocolate enthusiast’s dream and is an easy way to hit the morning macros. 

Music: These Songs Are Getting Me Through the Semester

One of my favorite ways to destress is listening to music, and I love looking at how my music taste has changed over the years and even over the course of the semester. I picked four songs from my playlist of recent musings that have inspired the easy, cozy and slow existence I have been enjoying with the start of colder weather. The playlist begins with one of my favorites from Noah Kahan’s album “Stick Season,” “She Calls Me Back,” which reminds me that everything’s alright. This alternative hit is followed by John Mayer’s “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.” The first time I listened to this song, I was driving through the country admiring a sleepy gray sky, and I have been hooked ever since. No playlist of mine would be complete without a couple hits from Harry Styles, and one of my all-time favorites is “Cherry” from his album “Fine Line.” I literally style my life around the intro of this song because the vibes are immaculately curated to fit the highs, the lows and every romantic moment in between. The last hit of my festive favorites is “Champagne Problems.” My sister, a true Swiftie, recommended this song to me, and after seeing it played on the piano during “The Eras Tour” movie, I cannot get this beautifully written story out of my head. 

Study Hacks: My Go-Tos for Surviving Midterms and Finals

With the start of finals season looming like an ominous cloud two miles away, I figured it would be apropos to share my favorite study hacks for my fellow organizers and procrastinators alike. The best thing I have found this semester is Pomodoro 25/5 blocks, where you work for 25 minutes, followed by a five-minute break. This system is so helpful in breaking up my tasks because I can do anything for 25 minutes. It also forces me to block out my work to keep it from dragging out for hours, organize my tasks in my planner beforehand and take breaks to maximize my output during each session. The second hack that is saving me this semester is to capitalize on my energy windows. I realized that, especially as a busy student-athlete, I cannot expect myself to be able to work at my best at the drop of a hat, so I have used this semester to learn that I work best early in the morning and in the afternoon before 7 p.m. My last favorite tip for a successful semester is to carve out time for yourself during the week (maybe using the idea of big and little funs from my last article). Whether it is journaling nightly or nestling under my comforter with a book, this is the easiest way to refill my cup. 

Essential Items: What I Would Bring to a Favorites Party

If I ever make it onto a GQ segment of “10 Things I Can’t Live Without,” these four items will for sure make the cut. My first favorite item is a cheap straw lid for my Hydroflask water bottles. If it is a typical lid that I have to take off, I guarantee you that I will take a maximum of two sips during class. However, if there is a straw lid on that baby, it will be gone before the end of the hour. It’s simply magic. My next favorite are the single-serve instant espresso packets by Whole Foods. I am not a coffee connoisseur, but these are good enough to flatter my taste buds and provide a cheap, easy way to celebrate the morning. I am a pumpkin girl from September through December, so I have to highlight the miraculous creation that is pumpkin butter. This cinnamon-sweet delicacy elevates toast, parfaits and smoothies alike, and I especially love Louisburg Cider Mill’s pumpkin butter. My final favorite is Lemongrass Spa’s Healing Elements Balm. I use this soothing balm in the colder months to keep my lips and hands from withering in the dry cold that St. Louis graciously bestows upon us. 

I hope you can find some comfort or inspiration from my list. I encourage you to reflect on your own favorites this season so that you can incorporate more joy into your days and invite your friends to share in what makes you happy. We all deserve an extra dose of dopamine during these darker months! 

Though she was not raised a city girl, Allie is an avid explorer of St. Louis, where she is currently studying English and Spanish at Saint Louis University. On campus, she is on the softball team and is involved in the Honors program, Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, St. Edmund Campion Society, and, of course, Her Campus. She loves travel, music, Christmas-scented candles, gluten-free baked goods, romantic comedies, and yoga. You can almost always find her with a protein latte and book in hand.