Movies I Watched Over Fall Break: Reviewed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I recently went home for fall break, and as much as I wanted to go to the theater to see “The French Dispatch” or “Dune,” it was easier to put a movie on the TV. These are fairly new movies that I hadn’t seen yet, and I think they deserve some more watches.

“The Boss” (2016)

The first movie I watched was “The Boss” with Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Bell. This is one of my dad’s favorite movies and I had caught glimpses of it in months past when he had it on. It is a comedy about the main character, Michelle (Melissa McCarthy), who was a wealthy CEO but goes to prison for insider trading and has to figure out life after becoming broke. She decides to create her own Girl Scout troop selling brownies and trying to make her money back. It was one of the funniest movies without being corny or cringy. I knew it was going to be a great movie when the opening scene was set in an arena where McCarthy is a fire-breathing phoenix and singing “All I Do Is Win” by T-Pain. This movie gave me all the laughs and I will be watching it again. This movie isn’t available to stream free right now, but I watched it on Amazon Prime.

“Palm Springs” (2020)

The next one is “Palm Springs.” I had heard good things about this movie, but didn’t want to see it because I had recently gone on a girls trip there and didn’t want to be reminded how much I missed it, nonetheless, I gave in. It is another comedy that is about an infinite time loop scenario. The two main characters are played by Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti. The day that keeps repeating a wedding day that they are both dreading and figuring out how to get out. A main idea is the realization that everything they do is meaningless and how to come to peace with that. It is like a romcom but with a bit more action and less cutesy. This was great to watch with friends and you can find it on Hulu.

“Bombshell” (2019)

I remember seeing the previews at the movie theater and really wanting to see “Bombshell.” I finally did this weekend, and it was not what I thought it was. Before I watched the trailer, I thought it was about some badass women fighting together in business (which it is) but thinking more in a “Charlie’s Angels” kind of way. I was happily surprised when I realized it is actually based on a true story about the former CEO of Fox News, Roger Ailes, and the sexual harassment that goes on behind the scenes. I had never heard of this story before watching the movie and found it fascinating. The main characters are portrayed by Charlize Theron, Nicole Kidman and Margot Robbie. It is about their stories individually at Fox News and how they realize they have more in common than they thought. I would definitely watch it again and read a couple articles about the scandal for some prior knowledge to help to understand it better. You can find this movie on Hulu.

These were great movies to watch, so keep them in mind the next time you have a couple hours to spare. 

Hi! I'm Isabel Bergmann, my major is marketing and I play in the university orchestra. You can catch me shopping at vintage stores, taking film pictures of my besties, trying out the newest cafe, or rewatching Friends.