How “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” Teaches a Lesson in Feminist History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is an Emmy-winning period show that has a profound take on feminism in the 1960s and is paired with raunchy humor that will have you laughing for days. This show is about a ‘60s New York City housewife who, when her husband leaves her, has a shot at being a famous stand-up comedian and pursues it despite societal expectations that are placed on her as a traditional mother and housewife. 

During the late ‘50s and early ‘60s, women were bound by many rules, regulations and expectations. Although they had more opportunities to work, women were paid less and were often kept from lucrative positions such as managers or CEOs, even with the 1964 Civil Rights Act in place. Women were unable to apply for credit cards or serve on a jury. They were not allowed to go on the birth control pill unless they had severe menstrual problems or proof that they were married; this was due to the strong belief that women’s sole and natural purpose was to produce children. Lastly, and most importantly in relation to this show, women were not allowed to discuss and talk openly about sex due to its intimate nature. 

Midge Maisel, the main character, highlights the rebellion that began to take place during the ‘60s as women began to explore life uncontrolled by the patriarchy. Midge finds herself drawn to dirty jokes about sex and talking about the reality of being a woman during this time. However, throughout the show, she is often met with resistance. For example, during one of her stand-up shows, she begins to talk about the hardships of being pregnant, and she is dragged off the stage by a man who claims she cannot talk about “women things” in his club. Similarly, on her first night of stand-up she is taken to jail due to her inappropriate and unladylike language. In her comedy, she is met by disapproval, not only from the public, but also from her family and friends. Luckily, this does not stop her, and she continues to talk about subjects such as sex, being a woman of this time and even ventures to talk about her seperation. 

Separation and divorce during this time was often looked down upon and not discussed in the public eye. Through her comedy, Midge is able to bring to light the societal standards she breaks against by choosing to leave her cheating husband. She is open about the separation, and this leads to conversations about what it means to be a wife and to live as a single woman. She moves in with her parents and is even encouraged by her father to return to her cheating husband because to be a single mother was not widely accepted. Midge struggles to find an apartment without a husband, and prior to stand-up, Midge has difficulty finding a job due to her lack of typing abilities, which were highly valued in working women at the time. 

Midge’s outspoken nature and honesty about being a ‘60s housewife in this period piece asks the audience to question gender roles and the impact that they have had throughout history. While the humor of this show draws you in, the complexity of this lead female actress and the challenges she faces bring a depth to the show that would not have been there if this was a show that took place during the present day. Midge is written as such a strong witty character that is met with resistance simply because of her gender and career choices, which makes this show so thrilling. 

This show just began its fourth season, and there will be one final season after. This is a must-watch comedy due to its hilarious jokes and intense feminist ideology that will for sure have you binging the whole series in a matter of days. 

Kateryna Gehlhaar is a senior nursing student at St Louis University. She enjoys exploring new places, reading romance novels, and having dance parties with her friends. One of her greatest passions is taking photos in her free time! She is so excited to be a part of the Her Campus chapter this year and to share some of her own stories and adventures.