How to Stay Organized During the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

The start of a new semester is exciting, refreshing, and a little bit chaotic. You get to see friends that you might not have seen for awhile, possibly decorate a new room or apartment, and meet new professors. But, back to the chaotic part: projects assigned on the first or second day of classes, remembering your new schedule for classes (and maybe even a job). It can be overwhelming for some, and I’ll be the first to admit, even as a junior, the first week of classes is often a hectic one for me. Although it’s nicknamed “sylly week,” I use my first week of classes to organize and realign myself. Here are some tips and tricks to utilize during your semester, to make it your best one yet!

1. Have (and maintain) an agenda.

One of the first things I do is take a look at all the syllabi and mark the important dates of tests, due dates of reports, and days I don’t have class. Additionally, I put my new class and work schedules. I really like planners where you can plan your days by the hour, like this one from Target.

2. Prioritize your to-do list(s).

This is a big one for me, especially since I only started doing it recently, at the recommendation of a friend. In my agenda, or even on a sticky note, I write my to-do lists, but then I add numbers to the tasks, ranging from 1 (most important) to the highest number (the least important). I find that this helps me stay on task and make excellent use of my time.

3. Use the “days-before-its-due” system.

I started doing this my second year of college, and it’s really been a game-changer. Have you ever been so neck-deep in homework assignments you forget you have a test, quiz, or project due really soon? After learning the hard way a few too many times, I now write little reminders in my agenda when a test is 2 weeks away, 1 week away, and the day of the test. It really helps me remember to start studying!

4. Wake up at the same time every day

Try to do this, especially on the weekends! The weekends are when I often find myself promising when I’m going to get a boatload of work done, only to find myself in bed until mid-afternoon. But waking up at the same time every day will help you stay on schedule and not feel like the day is wasted.

5. Have a system for note-taking.

Laptop or notebook? Either is fine really, as long as you have a method that is easy for you and can be utilized later to study from. I like to take my notes in different colors and highlight terms and things my professor emphasizes.

Writer & Editor for Her Campus at Saint Louis University. All things Buffalo, biomedical engineering, coffee, mental health, and Justin Bieber.