Kristen Bryant-Brandy Melville Inspired Cityscape Girl Hair Flip 6 Cropped
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

How Mind Wandering Can Actually Promote Productivity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

Until recently, I had long believed that mind wandering was an unproductive waste of time that would only stunt my productivity. I had only ever used it as an escape method and procrastination tool, especially when there was a big due date looming on my calendar. Although I’m a big fan of staring aimlessly out the window until an idea comes to me, I always felt like there had to be a more productive way to think creatively. Because of this, I have always tried to avoid daydreaming as much as possible when I’m trying to get things done.  

However, recent research has shown that mind wandering can actually help when you feel like you’re stuck in a rut. Not only does it boost creativity, it can enhance your mood and overall productivity. People who mind wander also tend to be better than those who don’t when they have to use cognitive functions like problem solving and emotional regulation. So, if you purposefully take a quick break during a study session or while writing an essay, there’s a chance your mind could actually produce some good results without much effort from you.

Accounts of mind wandering date as far back as the Ancient Greeks, who regarded mind wandering as an essential part of maintaining overall health and wellbeing. They believed that allowing your thoughts to wander was the best way to restore balance and promote a healthy connection between mind and body. Research shows that when we mind wander, one part of our brain focuses on the ultimate goal or task, while the other bounces various ideas back and forth. The part of your brain that wanders is able to search for different strategies, ideas and answers, and then connect it back to the ultimate goal that the other part is holding onto. Interestingly enough, the brain regions that are active during mind wandering are also active during problem solving

So next time you’re feeling unproductive in Pius, set aside five minutes and see where your mind can take you. The results might surprise you. 

A psychology major at Saint Louis University who enjoys making playlists, obsessing over cats and drinking coffee.