photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

How to Make Your Apartment Homey This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

One of the issues many college students face in their apartment or on-campus dorm is making it feel like their own. I found a few ways to make your home away from home with ease — try these tricks out this school year!

1. Hang up Holiday lights.

Putting up either all white or multicolored lights is super easy to do and makes a small place feel more intimate and warm. It’s especially useful if you only have one overhead light in your room. Simply buy some lights and command strips and you’re ready to go!

2. Find a good scent

This time of the year is perfect for lighting candles. Pick a nice candle that smells of forest or like a fresh baked cookie. Check out Walmart or Bath and Body Works for some great candles (or wall plugins for those who cannot have candles) for some cheap scents! Also, check out buying a steam of eucalyptus — it’s very calming and can make a great decoration.

3. Make it personal

With very family-oriented holidays coming up, show off the ones you love with decorations! Put up a few photos of those you are thankful for. If you’re one of those people who puts a Christmas tree up as soon as Halloween is over (turns out I am now one of them because of my roommates), put ornaments on it that remind you of your favorite memories, your friends, or your family.

4. Grab a cozy blanket and drink something warm

My favorite activity is to sit on my couch with my favorite blanket from home, make some apple cinnamon tea, and watch my favorite TV show. It’s a great way to relax after a long day of school and laugh. During this time of the year, I like to watch films that I typically watch with my friends and family, like “Pride and Prejudice” or “The Phantom of the Opera.”

Intersectional feminist, classical literature appreciater, Game of Thrones fanatic, world traveler, and proud sorority woman.