Life > Experiences

Five Coffee Shops in Saint Louis to Sip and Study 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

As a rising coffee fanatic, I have been on the lookout for a good cup of coffee, but more importantly, for a comfortable spot to sit and study. I look for coffee shops where I can either go with friends or ones where I can just sit by myself and concentrate. I usually find that it is always better to have a friend or two when you are struggling to finish a paper or just to study and get work done together.   

To help you find your next cozy coffee shop here’s a list of five around SLU that are my go-to’s. 

• Fiddlehead Fern Coffee (4066 Russell Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63110) 

Located in the Shaw neighborhood about a 10-minute drive from campus, this coffee shop has a great selection of hot lattes along with a tasty pastry menu that includes croissants that are savory and sweet and cinnamon rolls. There is a nice seating area with lots of natural light inside and outdoor seating for when the weather is good. As soon as you walk in you see a modern, sleek, vibe. I recommend this place to anyone looking to go to a smaller coffee shop with tons of lighting. 

• Coma Coffee Roasters (1034 S Brentwood Blvd, Richmond Heights, MO 63117)

A little farther from SLU but still about a 15 minute drive away, this coffee shop features tables that are great for a group study session and some time to unwind. From the first time I went here, I fell in love with the ambiance it has because it makes a great place to meet up with people. Not only do they have great coffee, but they also have a top-notch food menu which includes breakfast items like omelets, pancakes,  avocado toast, or a hash. They are also open late and have a happy hour that serves cocktails and they have gluten-free options! 

• Quarrelsome Coffee (33 N Sarah St, St. Louis, MO 63108)

This coffee shop opened earlier this year and has been a go-to for when I don’t want to go too far off campus. It is the closest coffee shop to the main campus as it is about a 10-minute walk. They have a pleasant ambiance and a great amount of natural light that fuels my need to have a casual study session by myself. 

• Hartford Coffee Company (3974 Hartford St, St. Louis, MO 63116)

Located in the Tower Grove area, this cozy nook coffee shop is a great place to grab some food and study as it offers a great food menu, especially their pesto grilled cheese or the breakfast potatoes. Their coffee options are also great and reasonably priced so that the lattes cost somewhat under $5 with a wide variety of syrups for flavoring. I recommend getting the caramel latte with coconut syrup to add a twist. This coffee shop is best for long study days when a treat is just what you need as you study.  

• Omen Coffee Company (2647 Washington Ave, St. Louis, MO 63103) 

This shop offers a great selection of coffee and teas alongside a selection of non-alcoholic cocktails for those who do not like coffee. This coffee shop is also closer to SLU about a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute drive and is a great place to go when you need an afternoon pick-me-up. Omen is also a great place to hang out with friends and study as a group. You can sit at one of their long tables and chat but also get some homework done. They also play great music so if you forget your headphones, don’t worry they have you covered! 

Whether you are a coffee aficionado or just someone looking for a place to go outside of campus, consider going to one of these coffee shops to get your fuel. Treat yourself to a great cup of coffee and some amazing food from one of these places.

Hi! I'm a senior at Saint Louis University studying Health Information Management and minoring in Spanish. I really like cooking especially anything noodles and pasta related. I am also trying to get back to reading books with my favorite being Normal People by Sally Rooney (and yes I have watched the TV show on hulu). I'm always down to grab coffee and study but mostly I like to watch TV shows and listen to music.