This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

With colder weather fast approaching and COVID-19 still keeping us a little less social, there’s no doubt that most of us are going to be spending a lot more time indoors and away from others. But what’s a better way to spend that time than being engrossed in a great new book? Not only are these picks great reads, they’re also perfect for sharing and talking about with friends. Zoom book club, anyone?

1. “Sharp Objects” by Gillian Flynn

You’ll probably recognize Gillian Flynn as the popular author of titles such as “Gone Girl” and “The Girl on the Train”. But have you read her debut book? “Sharp Objects” takes you to the tiny Missouri town of Wind Gap where reporter and former resident Camille is tasked with covering the murders of two young girls. Her mission for answers will yield more questions and secrets about the town and her family, specifically her mother and younger sister. As she tries to uncover the truth, she’ll discover shocking revelations that will leave you guessing until the very end.

2. “Where the Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens

I haven’t met a single person who read this book and didn’t like it. It’s highly critically acclaimed and with good reason. You’ll venture to the lakes of North Carolina and meet Kya, a reclusive yet intelligent girl who lives alone and spends her days fishing, swimming and learning to read. She is the center of speculation for the entire small town and becomes even more so when she’s caught in the middle of a local murder case. This book has everything from forbidden romance, complicated family dynamics, a beautifully mysterious setting and more. You’ll find yourself invested in the story–until the shocking finish.

3. “Firefly Lane”  by Kristin Hannah

This book came out in 2009, but with a Netflix series based on it scheduled for December 2020, now is the time to read this book. You’ll get to know Katie Mularkey and Tully Hart, who are two very different girls who end up becoming the closest of friends. The book follows the girls from high school all the way to late adulthood as they struggle to balance career, family, romance and each other. This book will make you laugh, cry, and wish you could relive a college party in the ’70s. It might also just make you call your best friend.

4. “The Third Rainbow Girl: The Long Life of a Double Murder in Appalachia” by Emma Copley Eisenberg

If you’re ready to be haunted by a true crime story you’ve likely never heard about, you’re in for a great read. Prepare to be engrossed in the story of two girls who were found murdered after hitchhiking to an outdoor festival, and the aftermath that followed their deaths. As the case progresses, the author shows the complex dynamics of a small town as well as the lasting impression that the murders had on her. She explores themes of sexuality, class and life in a rural town. This book will stay with you long after you’ve finished it.

5. “Beloved” by Toni Morrison

There’s never been a better time to start adding more Black authors to your booklist and this is a great place to start. You’ll follow the story of Sethe, an escaped slave who despite her attempts, cannot escape her past. While this is by no means an easy or light read, Morrison’s prose is poetic and effective–you’ll find yourself wanting to reread passages over and over again.

Just a 21 year old aspiring writer who loves books, tv, online shopping, and all things pink.