This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

I’ve never been much of a romantic. At sleepovers in elementary school, I didn’t understand why my friends were already planning their dream weddings, and I never fantasized about my first kiss until it was decidedly imminent. It took my first real break-up to realize why so many people binge romantic comedies and devour romance novels. Freshly heartbroken and seeking comfort, I threw myself into the “Bridgerton” book series (and the Netflix show, of course). And what started as a way to escape reality quickly became a source of joy. So, in honor of that, here is every “Bridgerton” couple, ranked:

*Honorable Mention: Violet and Edmund – “Violet in Bloom”*

While the Bridgerton parents’ love story is not often mentioned, the two are well-deserving of an honorary spot on this list. It’s Violet’s unending love for her deceased husband Edmund that pushes her to want the same kind of undying romance for each of their eight children. Plus,  Violet is the best matchmaker of the entire series.

8. Daphne and Simon – “The Duke and I”

Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings, is mean and mysterious and just so handsome. Daphne Bridgerton is his best friend’s beautiful, yet unaware of it, little sister. To get other suitors off Simon’s back and attract some attention Daphne, the two engage in one of my most beloved tropes, fake dating. The story is sweet and predictable, the quintessential historical romance, except for a disturbing and unnecessary intimate scene toward the end of the book. Minus 100 points for “The Duke and I.”

7. Benedict and Sophie – “An Offer From a Gentleman”

Don’t get me wrong, I love Sophie. In this “Cinderella” retelling, she’s our leading lady, the classic hardworking, mistreated stepdaughter turned gorgeous, wealthy socialite. Her humor and humility saved this book for me. But there’s just something that rubs me the wrong way about Benedict. When he discovers Sophie is a lowly servant, he tries to convince her to be his mistress rather than his wife. And we all know that a true prince charming would never value social class over love.

6. Gregory and Lucy – “On the Way to the Wedding”

Maybe it’s because he’s the youngest son, but Gregory is a little bit forgettable. He’s the rare gentleman that believes in love at first sight, yet he spends most of the novel convinced he’s in love with Lucy’s jaw-droppingly gorgeous best friend. And when he finally realizes Lucy is his perfect match, he doesn’t do anything about it until the moment she walks down the aisle to marry another man. To make matters worse, he doesn’t even convince her to abandon the ceremony! Talk about a lackluster rendition of Taylor Swift’s “Speak Now.”

5. Anthony and Kate – “The Viscount Who Loved Me”

Anthony Bridgerton is a young, eligible viscount, but Kate Sheffield isn’t looking for love. As Kate plays matchmaker for her younger sister Edwina, however, she soon learns that her sister’s leading suitor might very well be her own ideal match. As a younger sister myself, I was perpetually conflicted throughout this book. I simultaneously sympathized with Edwina and rooted for Kate and Anthony. But it was that indecisiveness that made this book memorable for me. And speaking as someone who is not usually a fan of love triangles, this book and its leading couple are still one of my favorites.

4. Eloise and Phillip – “To Sir Phillip, With Love”

Eloise Bridgerton, at age 28, is considered a spinster. When her distant cousin dies, she sends a sympathetic note to her cousin’s widower, Phillip. Unbeknownst to Eloise, Phillip is desperately looking for a new wife to be a mother to his two young children. As the two continue writing letters to one another, their friendship grows, and Phillip eventually pens a proposal. So, naturally, Eloise sneaks off to the countryside to finally meet him. Their relationship is endlessly entertaining to read as it goes from stunted and argumentative to comfortable and loving.

3. Colin and Penelope – “Romancing Mister Bridgerton”

Colin is Eloise’s charming older brother. Penelope is Eloise’s shy best friend. You don’t have to listen to the iconic song “Best Friend’s Brother” from “Victorious” to know what’s about to happen. Probably because I have a twin brother, this story hits especially close to my heart. Isn’t it everyone’s dream to have your best friend become your sister through marriage? Beyond that, Colin and Penelope’s banter is endlessly amusing, and their affection for one another is even more delightful.

2. Francesca and Michael – “When He Was Wicked”

Michael Stirling is the cousin and best friend of John, the Earl of Kilmartin. He also happens to be desperately in love with his cousin’s wife, Francesca Bridgerton. When John dies tragically young, Michael becomes the new earl, and the two find themselves navigating unexpected grief. Together and separately, Michael and Francesca must discover how to rebuild their lives after such a devastating loss. Their love story will leave you believing in second chances and contemplating the real meaning of soulmates.

1. Hyacinth and Gareth – “It’s in His Kiss”

Hyacinth Bridgerton is the most opinionated debutante in all of London. Naturally, Gareth St. Clair tries his best to stay clear of her. That is, until he needs her help to find and translate his Italian great-grandmother’s lost diary. Full of long-held family secrets and romantic intrigue, Hyacinth and Gareth’s story will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time. On top of that, their chemistry is simply unmatched. 

All in all, each Bridgerton couple offers a fun love story that will have you laughing and smiling the whole way through. So if you’re looking for a sweet, entertaining series to pull you out of a reading slump or mend your broken heart, the “Bridgerton” books might just be for you.

Studies neuroscience and Spanish, loves a hot cup of green tea and spends too much time listening to Simon & Garfunkel.