This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SLU chapter.

It’s officially fall, and we all know what that means. It’s time for a brand-new wardrobe! Whether you’ve just moved to a whole new region for college or have worn out your favorite sweatshirts, you’ll be hitting the stores soon. But in this current era of fast fashion, it’s difficult to find clothes you like that will last for more than one season. Trends are changing constantly and keeping up with them can mean buying from companies that use unethical labor or harm the environment. Since this is the first fully-vaccinated fall since the beginning of the pandemic, there are so many fashion trends being thrown at you. It’s important to find your own personal style and find pieces you’ll wear for many falls to come. Let’s look at the upcoming trends for this fall to determine if they are here to stay (or find what you should get instead).

Skip ski wear, cozy up in a knitted sweater.

Never have I been more shocked than when I read on Elle Magazine’s website that ski wear, of all things, was unironically in fashion this fall. There are parts of this trend that make sense—for example, puffer jackets are not only fashionable but functional. However, there are lines that should not be crossed. Clunky boots and ugly patterned sweaters are the definition of “will not age well.” Even so, it is always important to have warm and comfortable clothes in the fall and winter. Instead of buying into this trend, consider investing in some knitted sweaters. Sweaters are always in style, and they’re quite durable. They can be thrifted or bought new. This fall, pops of color are very much in style; so instead of buying that outrageously-colored ski jacket, consider buying a colorful sweater. Sweaters are a fall staple, so don’t get swept up in the trends and forget about them!

Forget sweater vests, buy a blazer.

I am aware that I offend many when I say vests are not the most sustainable purchase, but we’ve been down this path before. Vests from the early 2000s aged poorly and are one of the few Y2K staples that are not currently back in fashion. Sweater vests are likely to follow this pattern. The baggy fit and ironic patterns could be out of style by this time next year. But if you’re still looking for some outerwear, I recommend a blazer. They can take any look up a notch and go with anything, from a dress on a night out, to a basic T-shirt and jeans on a chilly afternoon. Besides being so versatile, blazers are also quite utilitarian. As a woman in college, there are likely to be many opportunities for us to wear blazers in interviews and at work. A blazer is not just a staple or a style piece, but a functional investment.

Swerve unique patterns and stick to classic plaid.

This summer has been filled with bright colors and funky patterns, and these motifs are forecasted to continue to trend during the fall season. These brightly colored shirts and pants are youthful and fun, reminding us of the ’70s or even of the prints we wore as children of the early 2000s. However, I fear that as exciting as this style is now, it may age the way that the galaxy patterned clothes or chevron did. But there are clothes that fit into this trend that won’t be outdated in a year or two. As anyone who watched “Gossip Girl” knows, plaid never goes out of style. Rather, it continues to adapt to new trends each year, from working itself into the grunge trends of the 2010s to dominating the 2020s’ preppy style. This year, plaid can be seen as a staple skirt or pant and in a patchwork jacket or top. Other simple designs, such as gingham or stripes, can fit into the colorful patterns trend without being too showy or dated. Instead of buying flashy patterns this season, make sure to consider if you’ll wear this pattern again next year.

Leave low rise pants in the past and try midi skirts.

Speaking of Y2K trends, unfortunately, low-rise jeans are on the rise. These jeans provide opportunities to show off a cute belt or hot crop top and can even be comfortable. Low-rise jeans also fit this season’s trend of cutouts and showing skin. But who even likes these pants? The only thing more uncomfortable than wearing low-rise jeans is wearing toe-pinching heels. Lucky for us, there’s another throwback clothing item trending this season–midi skirts! These ‘70s essentials are a great way to spruce up the bottom half of your outfit and can even help you work in some patterns (see above). These skirts can be adjusted by whoever is wearing them to be high- or low-rise as well. And the best part? Midi skirts are in style all year long. They’ve been trending since spring this year and can work in any season depending on their material. It appears midi skirts are here to stay.

Don’t get caught up with clogs, go back to the basics with boots.

You heard that right—clogs, not crocs. Those clunky little shoes are in style this season, fitting in with the big silhouettes and bright color theme. These shoes could be a great statement piece, but they could be awkward to walk in or could lead to falls. And let’s be honest here, where are we really going to wear clogs? Certainly not to class or on a night out. There are many other shoes that can be worn as an accent accessory and still be functional. Ankle boots, such as Doc Martens or UGGs still give the chunky shoe effect, but they’re more reliable. Ankle boots have been in style for years and can be dressed up or worn casually. As well, there are so many unique styles ranging from brightly colored fuzzy boots to neutral and versatile slouch boots. So before trying a new pair of shoes this season, look at some boots.

At the end of the day, style should be personal and not about what’s trending. If any of the trends to avoid listed above are staples in your wardrobe, then by all means get some more!

And if you don’t yet know what your personal style is, I suggest creating a mood board or sorting through your closet before going shopping this year. The choices that we make when shopping have an impact beyond us, so it’s important that we’re making smart purchases. Make sure that what you buy this season is something you really like and that you won’t be donating to a thrift store at this time next year.

As Coco Chanel once said, “Fashion fades, only style remains the same.”

Meredith is a senior at SLU and is excited to write for HerCampus! She enjoys reading, writing, cooking and watching reality tv and dreams about moving to the London to work a for non-profit organization.